Help Identifying hitchhiker snail?

Haydos001

Hi All,

I'm very new to fishkeeping and just currently cycling my new tank (70l fresh water), I added a few live plants from a local aquarium to get them settled and rooted before buying any fish.

A few days ago I noticed some small moving specs of white, after looking closely I realized they're snails and learned the common occurrence of hitchhiking snails on plants.

I think I'll keep some of them but I'll probably need to keep their numbers in check, I can't seem to figure out the species of snails though, I've been looking at multiple pictures on google of the most common types but it's hard to say when they are infants.

In my non-experienced opinion, they look like nerites a little but there's no salt that has been added to the aquarium besides what I've added to the water (Seachem Stability and API Co2 Booster). The snails are getting bigger and faster every day.

Or maybe a common pond snail, but they seem to have little gold and black stripes on the shells rather than a brown.

I don't have the best pictures of them, unfortunately, it's hard to get a good look at their shells as they always stay on the glass.

Many thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• 20211116_163005.jpg
    20211116_163005.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20211116_162935.jpg
    20211116_162935.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20211116_162917.jpg
    20211116_162917.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 13

bored411

I tend to get bladder snails with my plants and if you do have bladder snails (I can't tell for sure with your pictures. Maybe get more of their shells?) then even one by itself can lay a clutch of eggs. I had a hitchhiker bladder snail that was alone and I thought it was fine, but started seeing clutches of eggs on my glass, physically removed them, and moved him into my sister's tank. My sister's tanks are overrun with them because she didn't have the heart to get rid of the clutches until she had dozens of them. now she's got hundreds :confused:

If you have nerites (possible if they were already hatched when you got the plants), then you're fine. They will still lay eggs but the larvae typically don't survive unless it's brackish water.

Haydos001

I tend to get bladder snails with my plants and if you do have bladder snails (I can't tell for sure with your pictures. Maybe get more of their shells?) then even one by itself can lay a clutch of eggs. I had a hitchhiker bladder snail that was alone and I thought it was fine, but started seeing clutches of eggs on my glass, physically removed them, and moved him into my sister's tank. My sister's tanks are overrun with them because she didn't have the heart to get rid of the clutches until she had dozens of them. now she's got hundreds :confused:

If you have nerites (possible if they were already hatched when you got the plants), then you're fine. They will still lay eggs but the larvae typically don't survive unless it's brackish water.
I had a look after seeing your comment and I think you're 100% right they certainly look like bladder snails from the pictures I've seen online.

I counted 20 of them a few nights ago, so I'll be keeping a close eye on them.

They seem efficient at cleaning which is good but I might need to add a predatory snail to the tank in the near future.

kansas

Once your tank is established, you can control the number of snails you have by not overfeeding. If your tank is over run with snails, it's cause they're getting a lot to eat.

I have 3 types of hitch hiker snails in my tanks, I think they keep the substrate stirred up and help control algae.

Random Great Thread!

Top Bottom