Help identifying fish

1. DysX6 Initiate Member

Hi there, my partner was given two fish for our daughter in a small tank and I would like to know what type of fish they are, the tank I think is 7.5 litres (it's 28 x 13 x 20cm). The fish can be seen here;

http://s12.postimg.org/gh8ky1jl9/photo_2.jpg

and here;

http://s29.postimg.org/qaoolypfb/photo_4.jpg

We were told to feed them twice a day but I think that might be a bit much and also do we need a bigger tank, they don't seem to have a huge amount of room. Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance. :)

2. hopeful fish Well Known Member Member

I'm very unsure of my guess, because I am definitely no expert on fish, but I believe those are goldfish.

The first thing you will want to do is read up on the Nitrogen Cycle. The words should be a link to Fishlore's article about it. The nitrogen cycle is imperative to understand for fish keeping, so reading through several different articles will help you fully understand.

If they are goldies, you will definitely need a bigger tank. If the fish seem cramped, that is also a fair warning that you will need a bigger tank. I will let more experienced people fill you in more on the size requirements, because I cannot tell if they are fancy-type goldies or common-type, but 40 gallons is often considered the minimum for 2 fully grown small-type goldies. How big are the fish right now (mouth to start of tail)? You may be able to get away with slowly upgrading if you are tight on space or time.

3. FiscCyning Member Member

Those are goldfish, and unfortunately they really aren't good fish for a small tank. They get very large and are very messy. Unless you are able to get a large tank like a 55 gallon or larger your best bet would really be to rehome them.

7.5 liters is very small for a tank. You might be able to keep a singe betta in it, but even that would be cramped quarters.

4. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore! I hope you enjoy the site

5. hopeful fish Well Known Member Member

Oh no!! I forget my welcome!! Welcome to Fishlore!

So they are goldies… Darn. I was hoping I was wrong just to save you the trouble.

6. blusshed Well Known Member Member

First off, welcome!

Second, I'm glad you are seeking the right information on your newly acquired fish...

Yes, I would say those are goldies, like the others.

Barely a 2gal tank is almost too small for a single betta... Those poor things... Why would someone give those out in a tank that size?

I agree with what was stated above... Unless you want to dedicate your time and money into at least a 55gal or larger, and such, re-homing them is probably the easiest/best option... A fish store would probably take them. Just call ahead of time...

Best of luck!

7. Machine11 Well Known Member Member

Welcome...
    They are a breed of goldfish called a shubunkin. As previous posters have pointed out, goldfish produce a lot of waste and get really big therefore they need a large tank or a pond to appropriately house them.

In a small tank (no fault of your own) they are likely to experience issues with ammonia and stunted growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum