Help identifying dead mystery snail

Jbuds

hello,

I am concerned about this snail. His behavior has been odd. He was responsive yesterday when i checked him. After not moving for the last 12 hours, he is now kinda relaxed out of his shell a bit. No antenna movement. His flesh seems to have darkened a bit too. I know i should pick him up and smell him but snails kind of creep me out. (He was accidentally netted when buying fish and store gave him to me for free.

He looks dead to me but i see from the forums that they do go inactive.

Thanks for your help. I dont want him to ammonia spike my remaining fish.

Attachments

Jbuds

This was him just days ago. Comparing that to my previous photo of him right now and you can see why im concerned...

Attachments

erinw347

Sometimes snails will relax with their body outside of their shell. If you don’t want to pick him up you can simply tap him with a net and see how he responds. I would do a water change too.

Donovan Jones

Smell is a big indicator. If he doesnt move and isnt on something sold like glass, pick him up and give em a sniff. You'll know the smell the moment u get it. He wont come out of his shell most likely and u can hold him about a foot away and waft air over him. Just think of it like picking up a rock.

Top Bottom