Help Identifying Cod For Rummy Nose Tetras

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by notBrandon, May 21, 2019.

1. notBrandon

notBrandonValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    Hey guys,

So recently I decided to add 10 Rummy Nose Tetra (RNT for the rest of this post) to my 29 gallon tank, with heater, plants, established cycle, etc. For the first 2-3 days, the fish got along fine, all were swimming actively and eating well, schooling together etc. Then 2 days ago, I woke up and found one of the RNT dead on some java moss. Since they were new and I didn't get to observe them for long, I decided to throw this one to a human error, maybe not properly acclimating, etc. Then, last night before I went to bed, I saw a particularly skinny RNT swimming by itself, getting pushed by the HOB filter when it swam under. It wasn't schooling with the others, so I was worried. 1 hour later, it was dead on the floor. I started to research different diseases and illnesses, but other than being on the skinnier side, nothing gave way that it was sick physically. I was down to 8, though I did a thorough check last night to make sure the other 8 were swimming and schooling healthily (which they were). This morning, I found another RNT swimming alone in a corner, breathing more rapidly then others, also appearing skinnier than the others, but I got a picture or two on its body and found something I didn't see or catch yesterday. Anyone know what is going on?

Attached Files:

2. A201

A201Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,569
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    My guess is Hemorrhagic Septicemia. That would account for the red blotches on the head & body. IMO, the HS symptoms were likely caused by a bacterial infection.
    Probably a good idea to remove any fish showing symptoms asap. You can try medicating with antibiotics, but once infected recovery is unlikely. The stronger Rummies might survive.

3. OP
    OP
    notBrandon

notBrandonValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    I thought so too, but would bacterial infection be the only cause? I have a betta and a gourami in there (I know it was ill advised, but everyone in the tank gets along with the occasional chasing), and I'm worried that they somehow focus on a single RNT? I just want to know if there is a possibility, since maybe some sort of bullying or aggression is causing the predators to attack the RNT.