Help identifying an Oscar

TremayneBC

Good evening ladies and gentlemen, can anyone help us identify the little Oscar in the video? We just got him today , he was sold to us as a red tiger Oscar but I doubt he is since he hardly has much black/red. He has blue's and greans that can't always be seen in the video? Thanks

Attachments

Best Answer - View FishGirl38's answer

FishGirl38

How large is he? and where did you get him from? Chain store, or local fish breeder/LFS?

I'm betting he is just a 'pre-coloration' baby, baby, oscar, and that you'll see his orange coloration later on as he grows into it. If he's less than 2.5In long, I would bet on that.

There are Black, Blue, and Green oscars too, but they're not at all common (you wouldn't be able to find them at a chain) but it's possible? Though...I'd trust what the label said, at least, If it was at a chain type of store.

It's possible you might have a 'blue' or 'green' oscar, but in my 5 years of working at an LFS (that gets all kinds of exotic and rare fish in) I've never seen one. (so, it'd be pretty rare if that was the case.) Good luck to you, hoping he is a more rare cross.

TremayneBC

Hi Fishgirl38, thank you for your reply , you may be spot on, he is bordering the 2'5inch mark. He was purchased from a large speciality hobbiest kind of store that stocks some rare beauties. This little Oscar was single amongst some other baby giants (paroons/pacu etc) .....I fell in love with his interactive personality. I hope it's a rare breed as you said :)

aquachris

Keep us all updated, I love my oscars and would love to see this one as it grows :)

TremayneBC

I will certainly do that. I'll post his progress every second month :)

FishGirl38

I just want to let you know, or make you aware for information reasons. There aren't different kind of oscar, least not that I know of. They're all the same 'breed' or 'species'. Each color variant has the same scientific name, per se. The three main types of oscar are Tiger oscar (color pattern has red/black), Red Oscar (color pattern has mostly red/orange), and the Albino oscar (color pattern has white and orange).

The green, blue, and black oscar come from being selective bred with other oscar that have a more desirable color pattern. :). Hoping for a gem.

TremayneBC

FishGirl38 said:
How large is he? and where did you get him from? Chain store, or local fish breeder/LFS?

I'm betting he is just a 'pre-coloration' baby, baby, oscar, and that you'll see his orange coloration later on as he grows into it. If he's less than 2.5In long, I would bet on that.

There are Black, Blue, and Green oscars too, but they're not at all common (you wouldn't be able to find them at a chain) but it's possible? Though...I'd trust what the label said, at least, If it was at a chain type of store.

It's possible you might have a 'blue' or 'green' oscar, but in my 5 years of working at an LFS (that gets all kinds of exotic and rare fish in) I've never seen one. (so, it'd be pretty rare if that was the case.) Good luck to you, hoping he is a more rare cross.
That's some super valuable information, thanks ;-) the things us humans create is fascinatingly scary lol.I've added a slightly better pic, you can see the blue and green on the gill plate. Do you have any rare/odd Oscar'S?

TremayneBC

TremayneBC said:
That's some super valuable information, thanks ;-) the things us humans create is fascinatingly scary lol.I've added a slightly better pic, you can see the blue and green on the gill plate. Do you have any rare/odd Oscar'S?

Attachments

FishGirl38

I don't have a 'fancy' oscar, per se, but I think she/he's quite the looker. I've tried to keep her as pristine as possible, and give her/him lots of growing space. She's fed a primary diet of Hikari growth and color cichlid pellets with occasional live crayfish and frozen krill. She is in a 90G with 2 plecos and an ornate bichir.

Brown gravel pic was about a year ago (when she/he was about a year old) in a 75G tank. Red gravel pics are current. He/she is currently a good 5 or 6In tall, at least 1.5-2In thick, and ~12In long.

I have seen VERY tiny, pre-orange coloration oscar, and they are usually silver/grey with black. Though usually, you can start to see their pattern show through his, whereas this guy has a general silver sheen. If he keeps that coloration as he matures, I'd say you have a 'fancy' oscar on your hands. And if you were to find another oscar with some odd genetics (like an albino), breeding them might garner some interesting yields.

EDIT: the plant's weren't my idea, My mom bought them and I laughed at her. My oscar uses them as chew toys, he/she will occasionally rip strands from the base. They're just in there to keep my mom (and oscar) entertained. The caves you (barely) see are all actually 'reptile' or 'snake' caves. They work PERFECT for my bichir. My plecos have a tortoise cave (not pictured) on the other side as well. Those were intentional (lol).

Attachments

JB92668

i agree with fishgirl38 spot on with all info

TremayneBC

FishGirl38 said:
I don't have a 'fancy' oscar, per se, but I think she/he's quite the looker. I've tried to keep her as pristine as possible, and give her/him lots of growing space. She's fed a primary diet of Hikari growth and color cichlid pellets with occasional live crayfish and frozen krill. She is in a 90G with 2 plecos and an ornate bichir.

Brown gravel pic was about a year ago (when she/he was about a year old) in a 75G tank. Red gravel pics are current. He/she is currently a good 5 or 6In tall, at least 1.5-2In thick, and ~12In long.

I have seen VERY tiny, pre-orange coloration oscar, and they are usually silver/grey with black. Though usually, you can start to see their pattern show through his, whereas this guy has a general silver sheen. If he keeps that coloration as he matures, I'd say you have a 'fancy' oscar on your hands. And if you were to find another oscar with some odd genetics (like an albino), breeding them might garner some interesting yields.

EDIT: the plant's weren't my idea, My mom bought them and I laughed at her. My oscar uses them as chew toys, he/she will occasionally rip strands from the base. They're just in there to keep my mom (and oscar) entertained. The caves you (barely) see are all actually 'reptile' or 'snake' caves. They work PERFECT for my bichir. My plecos have a tortoise cave (not pictured) on the other side as well. Those were intentional (lol).
Hey FishGirl38, sorry for the late reply, I work for government....they own most my life lol!

She is an absolute stunner! Im sure she has a major personality to go with those beautiful colors! I also have some random purple and pink plants that my 7 year old niece got for me (had no choice but to add them and needless to say, they still in my tank) which i tried to keep as natural as possible :D

As for Lenny (my random oscar) he is actually getting some strange tints of copper/green. Will update a pic on the weekend

How does the Bichir and Oscar get along? A friend of mine had to separate his oscar/bichir because the Oscar would not leave the poor guy alone...

FishGirl38

Well, My Oscar is getting more and more curious of my Bichir. I added my very small oscar to a 75G while the bichir was in there at around 9in...so they've been together for most of my oscar's life.

So, I'd say, they seem to get along for right now, but later on, I may have to do the same. I know the bichir will get too large for my 90G where he's currently at, so, I will need to move/separate them. At that point, I believe I could still keep the bichir and the oscar together, but I would DEF. offer more hiding area's for my bichir that are less obvious (and more, 'naturally' set, in the tank), to keep my oscar distracted from him. As, right now, their tank is a bare tank with 3 caves (so it's kinda boring for her - and of course, the bichir moving from one cave to another will be the only thing catching her attention). Though, My common pleco is looking real shabby right now and I'm not sure....if it's the oscar tearing his fins, or if it's my sailfin pleco that's doin it.

The sailfin, (the 'fancier species') is territorial towards my common, and will physically push at him if they get too close. (like he's agitated and saying 'get. out. of. my. space. dude.' with each stab of his fin barbs. My common doesn't react the same way, it's almost like my common could care less, and my sailfin has major attitude. (though, I've heard this is typical with these different species).

JB92668

your right your sailfin dosnt like other plecos as they are teratorial to words other types of catfish the sailfin can get rather big your oscar sounds really tame

TremayneBC

FishGirl38 said:
Well, My Oscar is getting more and more curious of my Bichir. I added my very small oscar to a 75G while the bichir was in there at around 9in...so they've been together for most of my oscar's life.

So, I'd say, they seem to get along for right now, but later on, I may have to do the same. I know the bichir will get too large for my 90G where he's currently at, so, I will need to move/separate them. At that point, I believe I could still keep the bichir and the oscar together, but I would DEF. offer more hiding area's for my bichir that are less obvious (and more, 'naturally' set, in the tank), to keep my oscar distracted from him. As, right now, their tank is a bare tank with 3 caves (so it's kinda boring for her - and of course, the bichir moving from one cave to another will be the only thing catching her attention). Though, My common pleco is looking real shabby right now and I'm not sure....if it's the oscar tearing his fins, or if it's my sailfin pleco that's doin it.

The sailfin, (the 'fancier species') is territorial towards my common, and will physically push at him if they get too close. (like he's agitated and saying 'get. out. of. my. space. dude.' with each stab of his fin barbs. My common doesn't react the same way, it's almost like my common could care less, and my sailfin has major attitude. (though, I've heard this is typical with these different species).
Hehe, that Sailfin seems rather feisty but its really hard to figure out whose the fin nipping bully at times because they hardly misbehave when we near the tank....(ive actually set up a cheap wifi camera that I got on wish or bangood ) you can view them from work/uni, if you already haven't tried this, you will be surprised what goes on in your tank when you not around lol... What I noticed about some fish is that no amount of written literature can predict a fishes personality! You really could get away with keeping the Oscar/Bichir together depending on the behavior of those particular fish. I have another Chiclid tank with a large Texas Chiclid living with a Venustus...these two have been inseparable since they were 2 inches (2 years and counting) and now they border 10 inches and still best friends. (Venustus is male and Texas is also male which makes it even stranger)

I do love the idea of a completely bare tank with a single fish in fact, its my next project. I am still in debate as to what will I choose as a single species. What would you suggest with your experience?

Top Bottom