Help identifying african cichlid

lemonbean

Hi all :)

Was hoping to get some help identifying what kind of cichlid i have. He is a male for sure, but he looks so different at times. He sometimes has dark stripes, other times he’s more solid colored. The striped picture is from a few weeks ago, so he has obviously grown, but that is what he looks like when he gets stripes. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance

MacZ

Male Metriaclima lombardoi.

A201

Here's a pic of a very big adult Kenyi I once kept. Beautiful Cichlid, but extremely territorial. Depending on tankmates, you're probably going to learn Cichlid adjustment skills.

chromedome52

It is not M. lombardoi, at least not pure. Too many stripes, and the non-yellow phase is not blue like a lombardoi would be. The stripes are the wrong shape, as well.

I have seen varieties of Metriaclima that looked like this, but I believe they were domestic strains that may have been produced by hybridization.

MacZ

I have seen varieties of Metriaclima that looked like this, but I believe they were domestic strains that may have been produced by hybridization.
Yuk, even worse, hybrids have a potential for a higher aggression level. It's a shame...

lemonbean

Here is a better picture i got of him this morning with his stripes out.

You must be registered to see images

i know he’s not a kenyi, because i have a kenyi already, here’s a picture of him. He was also in a different tank than the kenyi were at the fish store.

You must be registered to see images

he is not territorial at all like my kenyi, he usually hangouts with my yellow lab actually, they seem to be best friends lol, they are always swimming around together or just hanging out together.

MacZ

i know he’s not a kenyi, because i have a kenyi already, here’s a picture of him. He was also in a different tank than the kenyi were at the fish store.
The blue ones are the females in that species, the yellow ones the males. Which explains the behaviour.

lemonbean

The blue ones are the females in that species, the yellow ones the males. Which explains the behaviour.

i was told it was way too early to sex this kenyi

lemonbean

Maybe close to 1.5”?
Maybe close to 1.5”?

i also have read that sometimes they will not turn yellow based off of the pecking order. He is one of the smaller ones in my tank.

MacZ

Maybe close to 1.5”?
Maybe a cm to small.

i also have read that sometimes they will not turn yellow based off of the pecking order. He is one of the smaller ones in my tank.
Can happen, not necessarily. Some colour change is usually visible. But as it's a bit under that size... will see.

lemonbean

Maybe a cm to small.

Can happen, not necessarily. Some colour change is usually visible. But as it's a bit under that size... will see.

So if the kenyi doesn’t change color or get egg spots, i would need to remove her then correct? As all of my other cichlids are male

MacZ

So if the kenyi doesn’t change color or get egg spots, i would need to remove her then correct? As all of my other cichlids are male
Correct. A female in an all male tank is a. not going to live long and b. has the effect of a drop of blood in a cartoon piranha tank.

lemonbean

Correct. A female in an all male tank is a. not going to live long and b. has the effect of a drop of blood in a cartoon piranha tank.

How soon do you think i will be able to tell the sex? I definitely want to remove (her?) as soon as possible if it’s going to end in death :(

MacZ

Should become clear in 1-2 months.

lemonbean

Should become clear in 1-2 months.

I will keep a very close eye on things. Thanks for all your help!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
AquaticJ
Replies
Views
Leeman75
Replies
Views