Help identifying a plant. Help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Orion5, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Orion5Well Known MemberMember

Hey all!

Hope you had a Happy New Year! I was wondering if anyone could identify the long grass in the background of the first and third pictures on this website:

Thanks for any and all help, and take care!

2. monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

I can't be to sure as I am on my tablet... but it looks like hair grass (not the dwarf kind)

Side note: my new year was fun... only one trip to the hospital was needed!

3. RogueAgent94Fishlore VIPMember

Probably some kind of vallisneria. I'd bet it was Italian Val.

4. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

I think Rogues got it.
    carol

5. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

The author talks about the values of the natural aquarium, and the relaxation it can provide.

He also talks about the substrate being a natural substrate, and that the Amano tank is designed as a natural biotope, but there's no mention of what's in it. Typically, Amano doesn't disclose this info

Here's a bigger photo if it helps with the ID:  

6. cichlidmanWell Known MemberMember

If i had to pick what it was id say mondo grass

7. Orion5Well Known MemberMember

Oh no! I hope it wasn't too serious and that all is ok now.

8. Orion5Well Known MemberMember

Thanks for your help everyone! It is indeed giant hairgrass (eleocharis montevidensis), but I also liked all the other suggestions-- more ideas for more plants! :)

(thanks monkeypie1)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  9. monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

Haha i win *cough* anyways it was just a head wound... dad only needed 3 staples in his head nothing else wrong... not even a headache!

10. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Since Mondo grass isn't aquatic lets hope not :)

since the different Valisneras really flow in the water to me it looks like one of the longer ones like Italian val as rogue said :)

11. cichlidmanWell Known MemberMember

true but it will grow in water =p

12. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

From experience I can say not very well submerged :)
    Carol

13. RogueAgent94Fishlore VIPMember

Mondo grass doesn't grow in water. From my experience it goes dormant and then just melts after a couple months. I have it growing in my yard.

How'd you find out!? I read the page and it didn't say what it was lol.

14. jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

I agree. It looks like eleocharis vivipara or montevidensis, i see it from time to time on shorelines when I'm out and about.

15. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Just a side note about Amano's tanks. They are not always permanent setups. It is possible that it's mondo grass, and was setup for a show/display. Maybe only setup for a week or two and then pulled down.

Too, some of his stocking is often very questionable, but again, they're temporary setups for effect. I do love the setups he creates though.

16. monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

I have 2 mondo grass plants i had to remove as they started melting after 2 months

17. Orion5Well Known MemberMember

@RogueAgent-- A friend found a picture of the same tank on another site where the plants were listed, but without latin names and in German so she had to translate. But when looking up the giant grass pictures, the same one also came up. It could still very well be the species you said, but other google pics seems to show a thicker sort of grass than the one in the Amano tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice