Help Identify My Fish!

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Kirby86, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Kirby86New MemberMember

Happy Friday everyone!
    My LFS finally got the dwarf rasboras I’ve been waiting on! I got 9 rasboras and one unidentified freebie who was mixed in with them at the store.
    My guess is an algae eater based on coloration but I’m not sure.. thoughts?
    upload_2019-3-22_17-43-0.jpeg

2. Nikki2577Well Known MemberMember

Looks like an SAE

3. MD_PlantsWell Known MemberMember

definelty a sae

4. Kirby86New MemberMember

Great! Thanks for the replies!
    Follow up question:
    Can they be aggressive? I notice my rasboras are hanging out near my filter intake in a more densely planted area, and I’m worried they are afraid. The SAE seems to have taken over the more open mid area

5. Nikki2577Well Known MemberMember

Mine were not aggressive but they are really fast and scare my corys.

6. Kirby86New MemberMember

OK from what I am reading in their fish profiles, SAE tend to get hyperactive when placed in a new environment and Dwarf Rasboras spook easily(winning combo lol). Hopefully he will settle down by tomorrow morning so his tankmates won't feel so shy

7. Nikki2577Well Known MemberMember

My SAEs got startled easy not sure if that was normal. They are cool fish. What size tank are they in?

8. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Are you guys 100% sure it is a SAE ?

9. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Agreed. Im not getting SAE vibes, rather rasbora vibes. Could you - the OP - get some more pics of the mystery fish?

10. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

Looks like an SAE but could be a flying fox too they are sometimes mislabeled. If it’s a true SAE he will take care of any BBA till they get bigger then they get lazy n just look for food during feeding time. Yes they are timid . I got my 2 true SAE when they were about 1” long and now they are about 3-4 1/2” long n still timid but very peaceful aside from chasing each other a little here n there

Attached Files:

11. CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

Rasbora einthoveni I believe.

How anyone can think that even resembles an SAE (not to mention a Flying Fox) is beyond me...

12. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Think you got it. My first thought was a female N.beckfordi, but then noticed several differences to that one.

13. Kirby86New MemberMember

Just googled Brilliant Rasboras and I believe you are correct

14. Kirby86New MemberMember

It's only a 5.5
    I've heard the micro rasboras can do well in small tanks, but I plan on upgrading to something much larger in the next couple of months

15. Kirby86New MemberMember

Day 2 in the tank and 1 rasbora is confirmed dead, another two missing presumed also dead.
    The remaining fish seem ok, but are remaining hidden in the corners of the tank mostly.
    Water parameters are good so I'm certain it is not a problem with ammonia/nitrite/nitrate.
    Acclimated for almost two hours before introducing them, but I suppose it could just be stress induced
    I should add the tank is very heavily planted so they have lots of hiding spaces

16. Kirby86New MemberMember

upload_2019-3-23_10-24-24.jpegupload_2019-3-23_10-24-51.jpeg

17. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

Yea cuz it looks nothing like it with the line all the way down it’s slender silver body. Not to mention SAE and flying fox are nearly identical in appearance

18. Nikki2577Well Known MemberMember

Oh!! Lol I thought it was in a bigger tank and a bigger fish! So sorry for giving you wrong information.

19. CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

They’re not even similar. One has clear fins, the other has black fins. (Also they have different head and body shapes that are easy to tell apart if you know both fish well).

20. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

You know better than me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice