Help Identify Disease? (pictures)

1. G

Grace2018 Initiate Member

So I have a 10 gal freshwater tank which I believe is fully cycled (although I don’t 100% trust my testing strips), I’ve had it for a couple months.
    There is currently only 1 pearl danio and 1 white tetra in the tank, both of which I bought and put in at the same time 2ish weeks ago.
    I noticed the tetra had a piece of her top fin missing last week, so I removed the agressive zebra fish that I thought had nipped it. In the past couple days I’ve noticed that fin now has a reddish tint at the base. She was acting weird, hiding and not eating yesterday. Today she came out finally to eat and she looked like this (see pic) with the red spots on both of her sides. Any thoughts??

Side note— the pearl danio is acting normal but I’m fairly certain that the black spot on his top fin is new.

I’m pretty new to fishkeeping and have never dealt with any illnesses. I do 25% water changes every other day (sometimes with a gravel vaccuum) and use water conditioner and quick start with each change. Help please!!

Attached Files:

2. Floundering_Around

Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

1. You really only need to do water changes once a week
    2. you don't need to add quick start with each water change. You really don't need to add it at all once the tank is cycled. The only thing you need to add is water conditioner to remove chlorine
    3. Both fish are schooling fish and need to be kept in groups of six or more with their own species to feel safe and reduce aggression
    4. I'm not sure what the bigger fish is, but it's not a pearl danio (Brachydanio albolineata)
    5. The fish that is injured is not a white tetra but a red eye tetra (Moenkhausia sanctaefilomene). Ideally, need to be housed in a tank larger than 20 gallons with a group of six or more. I'm not sure what could have caused the red spots on its sides
    6. It sounds like you also had a zebra danio in the tank as well (Danio rerio). They also need to be kept in groups of six or more

3. N

NeonTetraBoi Initiate Member

First off those fish are schooling fish and need to be kept in schools of at least 5 (which I bet is why they got sick) second off good job for noticing that kind of stuff but I Don't know what kind of illness it has.

4. CraniumRex

CraniumRex Well Known Member Member

First, welcome to Fishlore!

For the moment, aside from stocking issues, let's try to answer your question.

Even experienced fishkeepers can have a hard time diagnosing issues. Perhaps the fish was bitten or injured. Your frequent water changes will definitely help and not vacuuming all the time is good to help build your cycle. Going forward, your water change schedule, again IMO, is subject to your filter capacity, your stocking level, and your personal preference.

If the fish is hiding, try to lessen the stress by turning out the lights. Remember that, IMO, stress to fish is one of the leading causes of illness and if she was bitten, keeping her calm and keeping the water clean as you have been will help a lot. Give her places to hide - looks like you have places in the tank, keep up with the water changes in case it is a bacterial infection. If it starts getting fuzzy stuff on it or she gets pale or continues not to eat, then you may have to treat with medication - lots of opinions on when to start treatment but I'm very much a "tincture of time" person. Other people may be able to give you different advice on what this is or how to treat it - I've never seen anything like it but I can only tell you what I would do if it were me. In the end, I've learned you need to trust your instincts and do what resonates. There are a lot of experienced folks here who will help.

Good that you spotted it and let's get the fish well and then you can work out the stocking.

5. Floundering_Around

Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

Providing the fish with more hiding spots will let her get away from another fish if they are bullying her. It will also calm the fish down and reduce aggression. You can treat the tank with some melafix (It's antibacterial/antifungal treatment). If you use it preventatively, it will reduce the likelihood that the nipped fins will get infected.