Help Identify Corydoras

fisheez

Does anyone know what these little guys are? I got them on kijiji awhile ago and they don't seem to be growing any larger than they are. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20210114_153347.jpg
    20210114_153347.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 20210114_153407.jpg
    20210114_153407.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 20210114_153409.jpg
    20210114_153409.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 58

Fishstery

Does anyone know what these little guys are? I got them on kijiji awhile ago and they don't seem to be growing any larger than they are. Thanks!
Looks like either bronze or emerald to me, hopefully another member can chime in with their thoughts also!

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

Looks like emerald green corys to me

Upvote 0

fisheez

Thanks, that's what they were being sold as on kijiji, just wanted to make sure. Some of the images of emerald greens look a lot more green so i wasn't sure. They don't seem to be getting bigger than an inch either. Although they did have a few babies (eggs)

now that im looking at bronze corydoras they look more like that..

Upvote 0

Fishstery

Thanks, that's what they were being sold as on kijiji, just wanted to make sure. Some of the images of emerald greens look a lot more green so i wasn't sure. They don't seem to be getting bigger than an inch either. Although they did have a few babies (eggs)

now that im looking at bronze corydoras they look more like that..
Bronzs corys tend to have a green iridescent sheen in the lower body and a tan/bronze coloring along the top and dorsal fin.

Upvote 0

chromedome52

They are the common Corydoras aeneus, most often called the Bronze Cory, though they do have some green iridescence on the body. Green, or Emerald Green, is C. (Brochis) splendens, a very different and much deeper bodied fish, and has more green on it. The Bronze also has a shorter dorsal fin than the Green. There are other populations of C. aeneus with variations on the color. Some are thought to be undescribed species.

As to why they are not growing any larger, I would suspect they are not getting enough good food.

Upvote 0

LHAquatics

I think they are green laser corydoras. The pictures I googled looked pretty similar

Upvote 0

Fishstery

I think they are green laser corydoras. The pictures I googled looked pretty similar
Definitely not. Green lasers have a bright metallic-y, glowing yellow/green stripe running along the sides of the spine. It is inmistakeable, not what I'm seeing here

Upvote 0

FishSupreme

definitely bronze corydoras. The body color of the Emerald Corydoras isn't that shade of brown.

Upvote 0

LHAquatics

Definitely not. Green lasers have a bright metallic-y, glowing yellow/green stripe running along the sides of the spine. It is inmistakeable, not what I'm seeing here
oh ok

Upvote 0

fisheez

They
They are the common Corydoras aeneus, most often called the Bronze Cory, though they do have some green iridescence on the body. Green, or Emerald Green, is C. (Brochis) splendens, a very different and much deeper bodied fish, and has more green on it. The Bronze also has a shorter dorsal fin than the Green. There are other populations of C. aeneus with variations on the color. Some are thought to be undescribed species.

As to why they are not growing any larger, I would suspect they are not getting enough good food.
They eat like pigs

Upvote 0

DoubleDutch

These are indeed C.aeneus with possible some C.venezuelanus ancestry in them.

C.venezuelanus were called C.aeneus for a long time and in that time used (crossbred as we would call it nowadays) to breed the green Cory (not emerald green cory !).

There is a natural type of Green aeneus as well btw (lighter green + lacking the reddish / brownish finnge)

Upvote 0

Halfbeakisgar

They look like the emerald corys they are the guys that live in the wild

Upvote 0

Halfbeakisgar

Why is everyone so sad they were more than likely tank raised

Upvote 0

chromedome52

They are sad for your lack of knowledge, and the fact that you don't realize it.

Upvote 0

Fishstery

Can the mods close this for comments? LOL I think the general consensus is that they are indeed bronze corys....no need for people to add further comments and mislead OP

Upvote 0

DoubleDutch

To me they have more "green cory" in them than "bronze cory" which are more brownish. But as said those are both C.aeneus and crossed / mixed quite often.

Upvote 0

Halfbeakisgar

My lack of knowledge on the fact that I call bronzes emeralds? What’s the differenc?
Well I read up on it they have some minor differences sorry about that

Upvote 0

Mlou

No they can’t be green lasers. I have a tank with 10 green lasers. These fish are not green lasers.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
  • Question
20 Gallon Tank Mysterious Cory Death
Replies
Views
Yeoy
Replies