Help Id This Anemone!

1. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

Hello! I was given an anemone today that was listed as a long tentacled anemone, and had been closed up tight in the store for over a week. They gave it to me instead of letting it die, and I was looking for a nem anyway.

It doesn't look like a lot of the pictures of long tentacled anemones I've seen, but it very well could be.

Thanks!

Anemone.jpg

2. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

It's so pretty. Kind of looks like a bubble tip, but I wouldn't really know. Just recently getting into saltwater. @stella1979

3. OP
    OP
    Lorekeeper

Thank you!

I thought bubble tip as well, but not all it's tentacles are "swollen". I actually already PM'd Stella about it :p

I will say that as it opens farther and gets a bit more settled, more tentacles are starting to get a bit fatter. So it could be a bubble tip, I suppose.

It's foot definitely doesn't resemble a long tentacled nem's foot.

4. Adriifu

Haha, nice. I love her. She's so helpful :)
    It may just be a bit stressed. Did you just add it to the tank?

5. OP
    OP
    Lorekeeper

Yeah, it's new. I added it to the tank about 2 hours ago, so I'm surprised it's opened so quickly. It's still got some more stretching out to do, and it seems a bit starved due to the conditions at the store, but I think it'll come around.

6. Adriifu

The conditions must have been really bad if it opened up so quickly in your tank. I'm glad you saved this little guy :) Looks so cute.

7. OP
    OP
    Lorekeeper

Yeah I'm glad they gave it to me!

They had kept it in a fish display, so it was just under some daylight fluorescents. I guess they assumed that since it was keeping the mushrooms and zoas alive in those tanks, it'd do the same for the nem. I love that store, but corals and photosynthetic inverts definitely aren't their strongsuit!

8. Adriifu

Poor thing. At least it's doing much better now :)

9. trash.binh91

trash.binh91 Valued Member Member

I don't do saltwater, but I was researching anemones for this other forum today, anyways, I think this is a bubble tip.

10. OP
    OP
    Lorekeeper

Well, still not sure what it is - but there was no feeding response when I dropped a few mysis shrimp on it. Hopefully it'll begin eating in a few days. The poor thing is bleached about as much as an anemone can be bleached, so it'll take a few months to come back, if it does start to improve. Once it gets a bit of color and better extension, I think it'll be easier to id.

Well, I posted that, and looked at the tank to see it mouthing a few shrimp. My clown has also started to show some interesting - he's rubbing against it a bit and sucking on the tentacles, so hopefully he won't stress anything out too much and will help in the long run.

11. OP
    OP
    Lorekeeper

The anemone has been on the move a bit today, and has been a lot more inflated. When I fed the fish this morning, I did get a response from the nem. It opened it's mouth and inflated to large that I've seen it so far. But, any food that landed on it seemed to bounce off, so I can assume that it's tentacles have lost their stickiness. Guess I'll be tweezer feeding from now on.

Anemone.jpg

12. OP
    OP
    Lorekeeper

At this point, I'm almost certain that this is indeed an LTA, due to a friend on Nano-Reef having a very similar looking LTA shape-wise. Still a small chance that it's a BTA, but I doubt it.

These guys can get up to almost 2 feet, so obviously even my 29 gallon won't be enough for this fella. When the time comes, I'll make the effort to find it a good home, whether that involves shipping it to someone online or simply finding a good local reefer to take it. Until then, watching my clown play in it is awful cute.

13. Adriifu

The tentacles look so fat, though. It looks much better than it did before.

14. OP
    OP
    Lorekeeper

True, but when you compare it to an LTA that looks like this, it isn't so far-fetched:
    anemone_101012_PS.jpg

As for it looking better, I'm hoping that it'll start to color up over the next month or so. Really don't wanna lose the little guy - even if I won't be able to keep him for more than a year or two!

15. Adriifu

Ah, I guess they look pretty similar. Do BTA and LTA look different when they close up?

16. OP
    OP
    Lorekeeper

Maybe slightly, but I can't find anything to really separate them apart for sure.

17. Adriifu

All right. I guess you'll just have to wait and see once it heals more.