Help Id Pleco

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Friends.NotFood., Jun 14, 2018.

1. Friends.NotFood.

Friends.NotFood. Valued Member Member

3D9E0860-7354-4471-9A4E-B9A0CFF29CFC.jpeg Can anyone help ID this pleco. I got him and another common pleco about 3 months ago. The common pleco is more than twice this ones size now and this one has not grown at all. Could it be a dwarf or a slow grower?

2. appcontrol

appcontrol Well Known Member Member

It is ancistrus sp. or other name is bushynose pleco or bristlenose pleco all the same fish. It gets up to 5 inches.

3. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

Looks like a bristlenose pleco. They grow quite slowly in my opinion. Needs at least a 20-gallon tank while the common pleco needs at least a 75-gallon, preferably larger.

4. OP
    OP
    Friends.NotFood.

Friends.NotFood. Valued Member Member

I have them in a 55 now but I also have a 100 gallon. I figured by the time they need the 100 gallon I’ll be able to set it up

5. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

That's great. Glad to finally see someone with an appropriate-sized tank for a common pleco. These guys are always put in such small tanks.

6. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Some bristlenose are runts, meaning they will never attain a length greater than 3 inches, i had two female albino bristlenose (yours looks to be female by the lack of bristles and the size of its abdomen), one grew to a massive 5 inches with slight lip bristles (nothing like male's) and her sibling only reached 3 inches at most (doubt it) with no lip bristles in the year i had them. Both were mature and produced viable eggs, one just never grew larger.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice