Help Id Plant I Just Purchased.

TommyD11730

Reaction score
Ok, I'm a dummy. Saw a big clump of this floating at the LFS. Asked about it, and while I remember the description I can't recall the plants name.

It floats and grows long roots. I was told when the roots get long enough I could plant it in a substrate. Also told it could grow out of water if the humidity was right. He had a large example of it growing out of a tank all along the top. Man, it had some thick stems!

I'll post photos below. Thanks guys!

Attachments

OP
TommyD11730

TommyD11730

Reaction score
You think so? I would have remembered that name, unless he got all Latin on me .

**** I have a bunchard of it growing in my substrate but it looks different.

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I do believe it is wisteria, and not water sprite.

OP
TommyD11730

TommyD11730

Reaction score
Well ****, I got some wisteria in another tank. However it's not tiny tittle "leaflets" , rather more like a plant (in substrait).

aniroc

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I can not tell a water sprite from wisteria unless I see new growth: is it unfurling like a fern ? That's the sprite. If it grows like a stem plant, that's the wisteria.

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It's definitely not water sprite. I have plenty growing in my aquarium. Whether growing submerged or emersed, the leaves pretty much look the same. Leaves look nothing like the OP's plant. That's why I'm guessing wisteria. I'm not sure, to be frank, what it is--only on what it isn't.
20181210_180437.jpg

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It’s definitely not wisteria. All the plants seem to be growing from a crown. Wisteria is a stem plant, it could possibly be broad leaf water sprite(Ceratopteris cornuta)

1A812E28-DBDB-463E-9438-84C7F70B1A51.jpeg

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
bryangar said:
It’s definitely not wisteria. All the plants seem to be growing from a crown. Wisteria is a stem plant, it could possibly be broad leaf water sprite.

1A812E28-DBDB-463E-9438-84C7F70B1A51.jpeg
Never heard of that species, but a quick search tells me that it's quite possible.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've never had water Sprite, but when I had wisteria, the higher the light, the thicker the leaves grew. It was either higher light or higher pH, but the same plant def grew in thicker. Not saying it's not broadleaf water Sprite either though. It does look like water Sprite over wisteria because of the way it's growing from a crown agree.

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
angelcraze said:
I've never had water Sprite, but when I had wisteria, the higher the light, the thicker the leaves grew. It was either higher light or higher pH, but the same plant def grew in thicker. Not saying it's not broadleaf water Sprite either though. It does look like water Sprite over wisteria because of the way it's growing from a crown agree.
More par will make the leaves grow more needle like. Less light makes them grow thicker.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wraithen said:
More par will make the leaves grow more needle like. Less light makes them grow thicker.
Oh ok, got that mixed up then. I thought my mom had more light in her 10 gallon with the plant right under the bulb than my deep 27g hex, but I guess not then. She had an old iridescent lamp, mine was CFL or LED, but the depth was triple her 10g. Iridescent is before my time, I don't know anything about it's PAR. I just know it's about 2500k-3000k.

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
okay i’m thinking I might be wrong. Jocelyn Adelman what is this?

midna

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
bryangar said:
okay i’m thinking I might be wrong. Jocelyn Adelman what is this?
nah dude, I agree with you. it's definitely watersprite. wisteria is a stem plant and doesn't have crowns.

my baby narrow leaf crowns floating:
20190119_143304.jpg

my broad leaf crown floating:
20190119_143239.jpg

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests