Help Id Plant I Just Purchased.

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by TommyD11730, Jan 17, 2019.

1. TommyD11730Valued MemberMember

Ok, I'm a dummy. Saw a big clump of this floating at the LFS. Asked about it, and while I remember the description I can't recall the plants name.

It floats and grows long roots. I was told when the roots get long enough I could plant it in a substrate. Also told it could grow out of water if the humidity was right. He had a large example of it growing out of a tank all along the top. Man, it had some thick stems!

I'll post photos below. Thanks guys!

Attached Files:

2. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

3. TommyD11730Valued MemberMember

You think so? I would have remembered that name, unless he got all Latin on me .

I have a bunchard of it growing in my substrate but it looks different.

4. Mr. KgnaoValued MemberMember

Water Wisteria, which looks almost exactly like Water Sprite under enough light?

5. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

I do believe it is wisteria, and not water sprite.

6. BotWell Known MemberMember

Broad leaf water sprite?

7. TommyD11730Valued MemberMember

Well , I got some wisteria in another tank. However it's not tiny tittle "leaflets" , rather more like a plant (in substrait).

8. anirocWell Known MemberMember

I can not tell a water sprite from wisteria unless I see new growth: is it unfurling like a fern ? That's the sprite. If it grows like a stem plant, that's the wisteria.

9. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

It's definitely not water sprite. I have plenty growing in my aquarium. Whether growing submerged or emersed, the leaves pretty much look the same. Leaves look nothing like the OP's plant. That's why I'm guessing wisteria. I'm not sure, to be frank, what it is--only on what it isn't.
    20181210_180437.jpg

10. BotWell Known MemberMember

It’s definitely not wisteria. All the plants seem to be growing from a crown. Wisteria is a stem plant, it could possibly be broad leaf water sprite(Ceratopteris cornuta)

1A812E28-DBDB-463E-9438-84C7F70B1A51.jpeg

11. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Never heard of that species, but a quick search tells me that it's quite possible.

12. angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

I've never had water Sprite, but when I had wisteria, the higher the light, the thicker the leaves grew. It was either higher light or higher pH, but the same plant def grew in thicker. Not saying it's not broadleaf water Sprite either though. It does look like water Sprite over wisteria because of the way it's growing from a crown agree.

13. WraithenFishlore VIPMember

More par will make the leaves grow more needle like. Less light makes them grow thicker.

14. angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

Oh ok, got that mixed up then. I thought my mom had more light in her 10g with the plant right under the bulb than my deep 27g hex, but I guess not then. She had an old iridescent lamp, mine was CFL or LED, but the depth was triple her 10g. Iridescent is before my time, I don't know anything about it's PAR. I just know it's about 2500k-3000k.

15. WinterSoldier.Well Known MemberMember

water wisteria

16. TrichogasterAddictValued MemberMember

Water wisteria, it can float or be planted! I love this plant.

17. BotWell Known MemberMember

18. midnaWell Known MemberMember

nah dude, i agree with you. it's definitely watersprite. wisteria is a stem plant and doesn't have crowns.

my baby narrow leaf crowns floating:
    20190119_143304.jpg

my broad leaf crown floating:
    20190119_143239.jpg

19. Donovan JonesValued MemberMember

Definitely water Sprite in it's floating form.

20. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

Water sprite