Help ID Pest Snail? Type of MTS?

bumblinBee

Hello everybody! Several months ago I realized that I had a snail problem. I've always had problems with bladder snails and pond snails, but they've always kept their population in check and so they've never really bothered me. I used to have MTS in this tank many years ago, and I hated them so much that I tore the entire tank apart and restarted from scratch so that I could guarantee I would no longer have to see them, and I've been happily without them ever since. You can imagine my ire upon suddenly spotting these lil fellas in my tank.
They were so TINY when I first spotted them, that after a lengthy scan of the aquarium, I realized that hundreds of them had hatched in my tank right under my nose without notice. I've let them be, and more and more of them have popped up (which was not unexpected but I don't really have any methods of removal that wouldn't put the other tank invertebrates at risk beyond manual removal and we all know how time consuming that can be). I initially assumed they were MTS because of the cone shaped shell, but now I'm wondering. They don't look like the variety of MTS I had in the past, those ones had a cream coloured shell with small red/brown marks. These ones however, they seem to be this dull gray/brown with thicker/darker bands. I thought perhaps it was because they had yet to grow into adults, and that their colourations would change as they grew? But it seems this is the largest these guys are getting. They've been in here for MONTHS, and I supplement calcium for the other inverts, but they're still this small? I don't think they'll be getting any larger, and they're much smaller than the MTS I'm familiar with. I have a juvenile ramshorn there for size reference.. these pest snails are roughly the size of the graphite on a tip of a pencil.

Are these a variety of MTS? Something else? And if they are MTS, does anybody have any idea what kind?

ayeayeron

New Zealand Mud snails, common hitchhiker in the hobby (but not often talked about) and what I called “tiny mts” at first. They stay quite small.

Upvote 0

Demeter

Everyone always assumes they are baby MTS but they are not. New Zealand Mud snails indeed. Hard to get rid of unless you use chemicals. They like to infest filter media too.

Upvote 0

bumblinBee

New Zealand Mud snails, common hitchhiker in the hobby (but not often talked about) and what I called “tiny mts” at first. They stay quite small.
Everyone always assumes they are baby MTS but they are not. New Zealand Mud snails indeed. Hard to get rid of unless you use chemicals. They like to infest filter media too.
Thank you both! Wow, I'm surprised I've never heard of these before. So far I'm not really bothered by them, are there any cons that come with having these guys in the aquarium (apart from populations blooms, of course)?

Upvote 0

jake37

They look ughly. Isn't that a con ? I'd hire a team of assassins to hunt them down

Upvote 0

bumblinBee

They look ughly. Isn't that a con ? I'd hire a team of assassins to hunt them down
Haha, you're right, they certainly aren't particularly attractive. I would use assassins if I could, but I don't want to risk the lives of my ramshorns/nerites. I also just did some digging, and apparently assassin snails aren't able to kill these new zealand mud snails because they're too small and the organ the assassins use to catch their prey cannot fit within their shells properly to reach them..

Upvote 0

fishbreeeder

I think they look like ramshorns...

Upvote 0

bumblinBee

I think they look like ramshorns...
There is a pink ramshorn in the shot, but look to the right of that and you'll see the snails I'm referring to.

Upvote 0

jake37

Well that sucks. We need a new type of assassin. A mud assassin. Maybe they have those in new zeland to kill all those new zeland mud snails. Anyway it was a thought. I'm waiting to see if my assassin (i have two and they are getting 'fat'); go after the mystery snails (I purchased them to go after the trumpets because they were making too much noise). I haven't seen any dead mystery snails yet BUT i would most certainly not put them in a tank with mystery snails you want to keep. I still have like over 80 mystery snails so i wouldn't mind them killing 1 or 2 or 75 of them...

Haha, you're right, they certainly aren't particularly attractive. I would use assassins if I could, but I don't want to risk the lives of my ramshorns/nerites. I also just did some digging, and apparently assassin snails aren't able to kill these new zealand mud snails because they're too small and the organ the assassins use to catch their prey cannot fit within their shells properly to reach them..

Upvote 0

aussieJJDude

I know inverts like crabs and crays go nuts for snails, but the issue is they likely to also go nuts on your nerites and ramshorns. :/

I love snails, but I know that my thoughts differ to everyone else's! Haha

Upvote 0

jake37

I tried dropping the mystery snails in the 120 which has clown loaches, yoyo loaches and zebra loaches but now a month later - i still have live mystery snails in my 120 and loaches that wait for shrimp pellets. Guess i should have had an explosion in shrimp instead of snail. Who knew ?

I know inverts like crabs and crays go nuts for snails, but the issue is they likely to also go nuts on your nerites and ramshorns. :/

Upvote 0

bumblinBee

Well that sucks. We need a new type of assassin. A mud assassin. Maybe they have those in new zeland to kill all those new zeland mud snails. Anyway it was a thought. I'm waiting to see if my assassin (i have two and they are getting 'fat'); go after the mystery snails (I purchased them to go after the trumpets because they were making too much noise). I haven't seen any dead mystery snails yet BUT i would most certainly not put them in a tank with mystery snails you want to keep. I still have like over 80 mystery snails so i wouldn't mind them killing 1 or 2 or 75 of them...
Yes, I quite agree! Some snail breeding genius needs to get to work on creating a variety of mud assassins immediately haha. Yes, my mother uses assassins to get rid of her MTS and I considered using them to clear out the few bladder/pond snails I had as well, but I just couldn't bear the thought of potentially loosing my nerites. Ahah, wish you could send me some of your mysteries, sounds like you've got quite the population on your hands.

Ahah, yeah, the idea of keeping crabs/crays appeals to me, but I couldn't risk my snails. Always been a big fan of snails

Upvote 0

aussieJJDude

Could always use it as a good excuse to set up another tank, and try a Mexican drawf cray or some pea puffers. I'd imagine they'll like the small size of these 'trumpets'.

Upvote 0

bumblinBee

Could always use it as a good excuse to set up another tank, and try a Mexican drawf cray or some pea puffers. I'd imagine they'll like the small size of these 'trumpets'.
Haha, I like the way you think. As if I needed another excuse to develop multiple tank syndrome. Maybe one day though!

Upvote 0

jake37

And now you have more to add to your collections ! A match made in heaven.

Ahah, yeah, the idea of keeping crabs/crays appeals to me, but I couldn't risk my snails. Always been a big fan of snails

Upvote 0

Pfrozen

You think they're cute until you wake up one morning and you can't see into your tank because there's so many snails! I used to love my bladder snails but after pulling 50 snails out of my 20g every day only to see hundreds more appear made me a bit crazy

Upvote 0

bumblinBee

You think they're cute until you wake up one morning and you can't see into your tank because there's so many snails! I used to love my bladder snails but after pulling 50 snails out of my 20g every day only to see hundreds more appear made me a bit crazy
Well, I've had them in my tank now for a little under a year and they've actually been quite good population wise. The bladder/pond snails are at a point where I can usually only spot 4-5 of them at any one time. I know there are more in there of course, but they certainly haven't blown up in numbers, which I'm grateful for. These new pest snails though, their population is growing a little too much for my liking.

Upvote 0

jake37

So more seriously - they do look a bit like trumpets and part of the problem (or maybe it is a good thing?) is they burrow in the substrate. I wonder if these spend most of their time below the substrate ? Maybe it is like an ant farm under your substrate with millions of mini-trumpets jsut waiting to blast you one morning ?

Well, I've had them in my tank now for a little under a year and they've actually been quite good population wise. The bladder/pond snails are at a point where I can usually only spot 4-5 of them at any one time. I know there are more in there of course, but they certainly haven't blown up in numbers, which I'm grateful for. These new pest snails though, their population is growing a little too much for my liking.

Upvote 0

bumblinBee

So more seriously - they do look a bit like trumpets and part of the problem (or maybe it is a good thing?) is they burrow in the substrate. I wonder if these spend most of their time below the substrate ? Maybe it is like an ant farm under your substrate with millions of mini-trumpets jsut waiting to blast you one morning ?
Hmm, they do tend to stay primarily on the floor of the aquarium, although some have ventured onto hardscape/the glass, but I can't tell for certain if they are actually burrowing. I've got a mixed layer of fluval stratum/black sand, and since these guys are so small, I can't tell if they're actually trying to go under the surface of the sand or if they just look that way because their shells tilt downward when they move over the fluval stratum. I found that MTS were always very active at night, but these guys haven't really followed that particular trend.. they seem just as active during the day as they do at night. The thought of millions of these lil guys crawling around unseen is quite unsettling though ahah.

Upvote 0

ponitboss

Assassin snailsnails don't eat them

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Mcasella
  • Question
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views