Help ID our sick fish and his illness?

1. djmcfarl Initiate Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Hey, everyone! We moved this bloated fish from my BF's tank to a hospital tank, but we don't know what kind of fish he is or what his disease might be. In the photo you can see some red discoloration. We don't know if that's a sign of internal injury or what. He was in a 55 gallon community tank and everybody else seems to be ok so I wouldn't think it's a water quality issue, but I'm REALLY new at this. I've put Epsom salt in the tank and was going to try feeding mashed peas in case he's just constipated. Any advice would be welcome! Thanks!

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

You have an emperor tetra Nematobrycon palmeri.
    The redness looks to me like a bacterial infection, I'm in the Uk so unfortunately can't recommend which meds to use, hang on for more responses.

3. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

Trouble with bloat is you can't tell what has caused it. Could be bacterial, kidney failure, any number of things. All you know for sure is there's a fluid build up in its body cavity for some reason. A bactericide is usually the first option, or Metronidazole, but to be honest it looks too far gone to me.

4. Guppygirl7 Initiate Member

I use peas whenever my fish are constipated and it usually works(plus the fishies love them so it's sort of a treat for them:). Like Hampalong said though...it's hard to tell what causes bloat. Personally I've never had any luck with actual meds, so I would just make sure the water levels are good and maybe add a little aquarium salt, but that's just me. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. djmcfarl Initiate Member

Thanks for all the advice! I think I'm going to hit the fish store today and see if they have some bactericide. I figure I'll give it a try, and if it doesn't work, it's probably good to have the fish med on hand anyway. Fingers crossed!

6. djmcfarl Initiate Member

Follow-up: Hampalong, you were right--he was too far gone! Just as I was getting ready to leave to get fish meds I checked on him and he was floating. Wish we'd caught it sooner!