• no

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

meyowmeow

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Admiral Ackbar.jpg
Still trying to figure out what this lil guy is - The closest I've come through my web searches was the Betta akarensis
Any input welcome!

oOBlueOo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It looks like a baby betta splendens. Where did you get it from? Maybe you could ask them.

OP
meyowmeow

meyowmeow

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
oOBlueOo said:
It looks like a baby betta splendens. Where did you get it from? Maybe you could ask them.
Hmmm, I just don't see splendens; I didn't think they had stripes unless stressed. I got him at a LPS so I can't ask

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Baby bettas, especially the females, often have the horizontal stripe. I would also guess betta splendens, probably from a line that doesn't breed for color/fin type or else she would have some color to her.

You will hardly ever find the "wild type" bettas in LPS and they will usually be quite pricey.

OP
meyowmeow

meyowmeow

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Demeter said:
Baby bettas, especially the females, often have the horizontal stripe. I would also guess betta splendens, probably from a line that doesn't breed for color/fin type or else she would have some color to her.

You will hardly ever find the "wild type" bettas in LPS and they will usually be quite pricey.
It was sold to me as a male but I know they can often be mislabeled at the LPS. My initial inclination was that the sex was mis-identified so maybe that IS the case. I can't find an egg spot - how else can I tell the sex for sure?

Demeter said:

I'm also curious as to when babies will outgrow their stripes or if they will at all?

GlamCrab

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm curious what yours could be.. His body shape is closer to a splendens then mine. But I'm a newbie to 'wild' bettas

((I have a wild betta, (still not entierly sure his species, likely a coccina) He is tiny and has stripes. got him/her for 5$ From a lps))

OP
meyowmeow

meyowmeow

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
GlamCrab said:
I'm curious what yours could be.. His body shape is closer to a splendens then mine. But I'm a newbie to 'wild' bettas

((I have a wild betta, (still not entierly sure his species, likely a coccina) He is tiny and has stripes. got him/her for 5$ From a lps))
I guess only time will tell! I am going to go home and look and look and LOOK for an egg spot to see if it is female and I just missed it. If there is no egg spot I'll just have to keep feeding and growing him and see how he turns out!

GlamCrab

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
meyowmeow said:
I guess only time will tell! I am going to go home and look and look and LOOK for an egg spot to see if it is female and I just missed it. If there is no egg spot I'll just have to keep feeding and growing him and see how he turns out!
True! Its the same for a few of the young fish I bought. Wish you luck with him!

New Threads