Help Id My Betta

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by meyowmeow, Apr 7, 2017.

?

Do you think it is Betta akarensis?

1. yes

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. no

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. meyowmeow

meyowmeowValued MemberMember

Admiral Ackbar.jpg Still trying to figure out what this lil guy is - The closest I've come through my web searches was the  
    Any input welcome!

2. oOBlueOo

oOBlueOoWell Known MemberMember

It looks like a baby betta splendens. Where did you get it from? Maybe you could ask them.

3. OP
    OP
    meyowmeow

Hmmm, I just don't see splendens; I didn't think they had stripes unless stressed. I got him at a LPS so I can't ask

4. Demeter

DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Baby bettas, especially the females, often have the horizontal stripe. I would also guess betta splendens, probably from a line that doesn't breed for color/fin type or else she would have some color to her.

You will hardly ever find the "wild type" bettas in LPS and they will usually be quite pricey.

5. OP
    OP
    meyowmeow

It was sold to me as a male but I know they can often be mislabeled at the LPS. My initial inclination was that the sex was mis-identified so maybe that IS the case. I can't find an egg spot - how else can I tell the sex for sure?

I'm also curious as to when babies will outgrow their stripes or if they will at all?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2017
  6. GlamCrab

GlamCrabWell Known MemberMember

Im curious what yours could be.. His body shape is closer to a splendens then mine. But im a newbie to 'wild' bettas

((I have a wild betta, (still not entierly sure his species, likely a coccina) He is tiny and has stripes. got him/her for 5$ From a lps))

7. OP
    OP
    meyowmeow

I guess only time will tell! I am going to go home and look and look and LOOK for an egg spot to see if it is female and I just missed it. If there is no egg spot I'll just have to keep feeding and growing him and see how he turns out!

8. GlamCrab

GlamCrabWell Known MemberMember

True! Its the same for a few of the young fish i bought. Wish you luck with him!

9. cjbart1009

cjbart1009Valued MemberMember

Looks like a juvie Betta splendens to me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice