Help Id My Algae Eater

KarenW

I asked for a siamese algae eater at my lfs to help with my blackbeard algae. She gave me this (photo below) and said she 'calls' them flying foxes as to minimize confusion between them and her CHINESE algae eaters. I didn't know any better, so did not question it. But, now I'm not sure I have a genuine siamese. AND, if it's not a siamese, will what I do have eat blackbeard algae.
*Something that might help ID it is that when my son tried to move the fish to the tank by hand, he felt a stick followed by a tingling in his hand.

Attachments

• 20171028_195340.jpg
    20171028_195340.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 20171028_195235.jpg
    20171028_195235.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 71

junebug

Looks like a flying fox to me... though it probably won't eat BBA. You'll want to balance your tank and treat the algae to get rid of it.

KarenW

Looks like a flying fox to me... though it probably won't eat BBA. You'll want to balance your tank and treat the algae to get rid of it.
Thanks. I was really hoping to get rid of the BBA this way, but at least it will eat the green hair algae, at least I hope so.

junebug

Epalzeorhynchos kalopterus summary page

Just so you're aware, they get quite large. And if I recall correctly they are a schooling fish.

KarenW

Epalzeorhynchos kalopterus summary page

Just so you're aware, they get quite large. And if I recall correctly they are a schooling fish.
I'm aware of their size and I made an arrangement with lfs to return it once the algae is under control. I would love to have something in my tank that would help the algae not get out of control as I have limited time and knowledge about controlling it chemically.

junebug

Nerites will help with most algae. But you can treat hair algae with hydrogen peroxide. Your best bet is to figure out the cause, though.

Mcasella

Ramshorns will eat BBA - but you don't really want them cause then you often can't get rid of them.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
PlantedCommunityTank132
Replies
Views
Janice1979
Replies
Views
EpikTurtle
Replies
Views