Help ID, Cherry Shrimp or sometype of pod

Bruinfishkeeper1

So my friend has a 2 G setup of 5 Cherry Shrimp. He's had the little colony for about 2 months. Today he was showing me his tank via video call and just showing me what's going on with it. He then noticed these little white things crawling on the moss ball (pictures below). He describes them and thinks they are baby cherry shrimp who have just hatched. There is a pregnant female in there right now. He says they are clear with some green and some redish tint on the back. He also says the legs kinda look like cherry shrimp and the tail. Two were on the moss ball and one seemed in the gravel. He also said they kinda move like cherry shrimp. He did some research and he thinks they are babies. Me on the other hand am conflicted. I think they could just simply be sometype of pods. Like amphipods or Copepods. The plants he got came from one of my nanos that was filterless and fishless (for some time) and i saw microworms and sometype of tiny tiny pods. He also said he got some rocks and wood things from the local lake. What do you guys think it is.
Here's a pic

Screenshot_20210326-200652.png
Screenshot_20210326-200659.png
Screenshot_20210326-200707.png

JLAquatics

Looks like a Scud to me. Completely harmless to your shrimp in most situations. Baby Cherry shrimp look just like miniature adults, so these are definitely not Cherries. However, you might want to remove the Scuds if they are in a really small tank (especially a 2 gallon) with shrimp, they will outcompete them for food and reproduction and deplete the limited recourses available for your shrimp, so I would personally remove them if you can.

Upvote 0

Kribensis27

Yeah, that's a scud. They're very entertaining to watch zoom around the tank.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
JLAquatics
Replies
Views
Mcasella
Replies
Views
SanDiegoRedneck