Help Id and gender please

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Jmorones6820, Jul 1, 2016.

1. J

Jmorones6820 New Member Member

Can anyone positively Id these cichlid I think one is a red zebra and the other a dogtooth cichlid. I've been trying to gender myself but not really sure. I think the red zebra is a male due to light blue sheen on dorsel fin and not really sure about the dogtooth. Please help.

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Bumping this up for you

3. Protim Sarkar

Protim Sarkar Well Known Member Member

I think both are male. Anders247 can help you.

4. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

5. OP
    OP
    J

Thank you for doing that
    Coradee

6. OP
    OP
    J

Thanks your the first person I've got a second opinion from. Yea I'm almost sure the red zebra is a male and the dogtooth at first I thought was a female because I had read that their color is kind of dull compared to the male but I changed their diet and the dogtooth colors are starting to come out more. Hopefully someone can confirm. Protim Sarkar

7. OP
    OP
    J

Anders247 Thanks still pretty new to this forum thing but so far the community has been nice. And thanks for your help in trying to get my cichlids gender

8. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Actually, the Red Zebra looks female to me: short ventrals, pale, poorly defined eggspots, and very orange color. Males of this species often take on more of a peach color when mature. However, it also doesn't look to be quite mature just yet, either.

The other simply looks like it hadn't settled in, color was more of a fright mode than sex indication. As for being a Cynotilapia, yes, but I couldn't tell you which variant or species.

9. OP
    OP
    J

chromedome52 thanks for your input when I did first put in the dogtoother the red zebra kept coming up to it and the dogtooth at one point got kind of white and his stripes were standing out and then it did like a shake. And then a day or two later they were both picking up the gravel and chasing each other. That's what made me think that they are male due to me reading that only males have that kind of behavior.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice