Help! Ick!

Fanatic

Yes, you should raise the temperature before medicating

Tigginjenn

Fanatic said:
Yes, you should raise the temperature before medicating
Yes, but how high can I go with pleco? Tank is at 81 now. Not sure 84ish will he safe for him

Fanatic

Tigginjenn said:
Yes, but how high can I go with pleco? Tank is at 81 now. Not sure 84ish will he safe for him
It'll be OK for a short time, I would go to 86 personally.

appcontrol

Tigginjenn said:
So, I woke this morning to an Ick attack. How high can I safely raise my water temp to, with a clown pleco in it? OR should I remove him. Other inhabitants:
Rummynose and cardinal tetras
German blue rams
BoesmanI rainbow fish
Angelfish
Black phantom tetras
I really would rather not tear apart my canister filter, to remove carbon,and have to use meds, if I can help it. I have aquarium salt, but I know pleco doesn't like that
For clown pleco 28C is upper limit. Salt in my opinion is not good option. Put up temp. and monitor, leave temp up for week or two. If situation isn't better in few days start medication but you need to remove carbon from filter and add it back after treatment is done.

And btw. when you lower your temp, lower it sloooowly like 0,5 daily or 1C every other day until you come to old temp.

ColmC

Pleco be ok with higher temp for short time ! Good luck

Gone

Don't be fooled into thinking everything's fine if the white spots fall off. The spots are just one of the phases of the life cycle. Most of ich's life cycle is not visible. Whatever treatment you use, make sure you treat for the recommended duration. It depends on temperature, but one or two weeks is required to kill off all the nasties.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom