Help...i Woke Up To 3 Dead Fishes

1. P

Pandacrew New Member Member

I have no idea what happened as everyone seemed fine last night. However I woke to find 3 of my fishes dead (a female platy that just gave birth, a lyre tail guppy and a false rosy tetra)

I have a 36 gallon that's only 70% stocked and i checked all the water parameters just now and the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are all 0 ppm.

I also recently upgraded the tank from a 20 gallon. Could this have been the problem? Did they go into shock after the change or something? I am so confused

2. Jayd976

Jayd976 Well Known Member Member

is the tank cycled?

3. kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

There should be nitrates in your water... what other fish are there in the tank?

4. OP
    OP
    P

Yes the tank is cycled and the nitrates are very low as i just recently did a water change. Nitrates seem to be between 0 and 5 ppm.

My tank had:
    4 lyre tail guppies
    3 fancy guppies
    2 sunburst platies
    4 false roses tetras

5. kayla.s

And you noticed no strange behavior at all? Were any fish recently introduced to the tank that might have carried disease?

6. OP
    OP
    P

The most recent fishes are the tetras and come to think of it they weren't as active yesterday and I am a little worried about the ones that are left. They are not as active as they used to be

7. sfsamm

sfsamm Well Known Member Member

Are you testing with strips or a liquid test kit? When you upgraded did you add new decor or a different substrate? Have you checked your heater?

8. kayla.s

How long have they been in this new tank?

9. OP
    OP
    P

I am testing with liquid tests.
    The heater is ok the temperature is at 78 deg
    Yes I added new decor when I upgraded the tank and its been 3 days since i moved them to the new tank

10. OP
    OP
    P

11. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

Some pictures would help also what's your Ph?

12. OP
    OP
    P

pH was 7.6

13. kayla.s

That is quite a high PH... was it vastly different to the ph of the previous tank? Though I think the white spots could be the main culprit and clue as to why they died. Look up "ich" and let us know if it looked like that

14. OP
    OP
    P

Yea it looked exactly like ich. But where would that come from? And do you think moving them to a bigger tank caused it? I'm not sure what the pH was in the old tank

Now i regret upgrading all i wanted was to give them a bigger tank and add a few extra fish

15. kayla.s

Dont feel bad, you meant no harm! And in the long term this tank upgrade is really good for your fish! :)This is a fairly common fish disease and your local pet store should have medication you can use. Ich usually arises due to poor water quality. You can increase the temperature of your water to 82 degrees Fahrenheit to speed up the cycle time of this parasite. Remove any carbon filtration before using medication because the carbon will absorb the medication. For detailed directions on how to deal with Ich, read the following thread: ICH (ICK) Life Cycle and Natural Treatment