HELP!! I think Royell has Dropsy - Page 2

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am so sorry this is happening and I hope he gets better.

First of all I would not feed any bloodworms as I have heard that they can actually contribute to getting dropsy if they are overfed.
Second, I have heard that epsom salts can help to cure dropsy. (supposedly they help to draw out the fluid that has built up in the fish--note that regular salt does NOT work for this) I do not know how you would go about using them or what amounts, maybe Rose can help with that...
Finally dropsy is only a symptom of an underlying infection and usually a bacterial one. So, look to see if you see any other symptoms of diseases in your Betta because they will have to be treated to get rid of the dropsy. In addition to the bacterial (most common) and viral infections as Rose listed, I have heard of it being caused by internal parasites.

OP
N

nmwierman1977

Well Known
Reaction score
It is official he has dropsy.I check him when I got home. He has an ulcer on the side of his belly almost underneith. There is also redness where that is and throughout different areas of underbody. He is laying on his side not moving at all and barely breathing. I don't think he is going to survive. This is just all so sudden and so very sad. He was such a vibrant little fish and now he is this very sad looking fish that doesn't know what hit him. I can tell you one thing I haven't overfed him. He usually only eats 5 bloodworms twice a day before he decides he done. I also feed him baby shrimp, but I only fed him those twice a week and it was only 1 shrimp. I fed him those when I didn't feed him the bloodworms just so he had variety. It's just very disheartening. Natalie

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
I am sorry to hear the Royell is not improving. Bessie is not improving either. She also has all the symptoms of Dropsy. This is so totally unfair to our poor little fishies. It just makes me want to cry. All my fish, including Bessie, hope that Royell recovers.

CherryRose

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well go ahead and treat with Maracyn2 and we hope that the little guy will pull through. It will probably do everything the Furan-2 would do at this point and I am at a total loss. I am so sorry I just do not know what to tell you. This is a terrible condition and I have to tell you that even if he does make it he is going to be weakened and prone to problems. I know this from my first fish Azul who also died of Dropsy.

I know I am not a ray of sunshine here and I do hope that he and all the others pull through. The other meds are coming already so you can do as you choose but I think I would keep him on the Maracyn until this dose is done. Then if you want to try the other meds you can.

Rose

OP
N

nmwierman1977

Well Known
Reaction score
Thank you Cherry Rose. It's just very disheartening because there really is nothing I could do about. It's only curable if you catch it in the very beginning stages of it. I'm starting to think that maybe he had cancer or something that you can't easily catch before it's too late. If he did have cancer there is nothing I could about it anyway because it's not curable. Obviously he had something wrong when he was at Petsmart, but he looked very healthy and was active, so he wasn't showing any signs at all, but he must've had something for this to come on so quickly. I've only had him for 2 weeks.

Rose, I would hate for you to send that Furan 2 to me if Royell isn't going to survive anyway so maybe you shouldn't waist your money on doing it. I do appreciate the gesture. However, if you still want to you can. I just know you paid a lot of money for it and I don't want you to send something like that if I can't use it anyway. Furan 2 is not a cheap med and I'm only trying to save you money. Thank you so much for your help. I'm going to continue to medicate  hI'm tonight, but I don't expect him to be alive tomorrow. I would rather expect the worst, then  find him dead and and think that I had a chance to save him and be surprised to see him dead. Natalie  :'(

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It is on the way and you may still use it on the otos or some other fish sometime. It will be there tomorrow. If you do not have a use for it then perhaps you can pass it on someday to someone. I put the dates on it.

I am doing this because I wanted to and because this does not come up often. I just could not think of anything else to help with. I am sorry.

Rose

Asinity

Reaction score
Sorry to hear the condition of Royell Natalie, I really wish all 3 of these Betta's would just get better. It's so disheartening seeing them like this, especially since we've only had them a short time.

My fiance must think I'm crazy, because I've been going frantic ever since I noticed Atlantis starting to act funny.

I sincerely hope Royell pulls through, as does Atlantis and Comet.

OP
N

nmwierman1977

Well Known
Reaction score
Thanks, Asinity.

Well I have an update on Royell. I fully expected to wake up this morning to see him dead.My husband get's up pretty early to got to work and he 's been checking on him right before he leaves and he went to check on him this morning and I said" He's probably dead somewhere." He said, "No, he's not. He's huddled in his corner up here again." I was in shock. I couldn't believe he survived another night. I decided just on a whI'm last night to try to put Aquarium salt in his tank. I know in the disease chart it say's to use Epsom salt and I don't have that. So, I figured aquarium salt would probably do the same thing and I did have thta. I bought it just incase I would ever need it in an emergency. On the label it said to use 1 tblp per 5 gallons. So I put 1 tsp in last night in hopes that it would start to work. EWven though I expected him to be dead, the salt is acually working. His water retention has gone down concidereable. He's still pretty pale looking, but hopefully this is a breakthrough and there is still hope.

Now, Rose please don't yell at me for using it. I did it at my own discretion and risk and I'm glad that I did. I'm like you. I don't like to use it if I don't have to, but I think this case is different. The purpose of the salt in this disease is to drain the water out of their system and that is what it is doing. I'll be very careful with it. When I get home later I will do a water change and add more medicine and maybe 1/2 tsp of salt to make up for the salt lost.

I don't want to get my hopes up too high here because I don't want to be disappointed in the end if he does die. Like I said I would rather expect the worst then the best right now because anything can happen at this point. Natalie

LZ Floyd

Reaction score
Hey Natalie, that's good news; any improvement is. Does Royell seem to be hanging around the heater? I read somewhere that an ill fish may actually try to warm itself by hanging around the heater; it was suggested that the fish doing this is trying to help itself when feeling bad. I know there was a period when GB would drape himself over the suction cup that holds his visi-therm to the tank wall while he was resting. I don't know if that means you should turn the heat up a notch, or not. It might be beneficial to let Royell seek out the heat just to let him get some exercise.

Anyway, I certainly wish you and Royell the best in this very trying time.

Mike

heatmisr

Reaction score
Natalie,

I am so glad to hear that Royell is doing better. I was so disheatened when I first saw this thread. I am glad that he is still fighting and I will keep praying for him to get better.

Nicole

OP
N

nmwierman1977

Well Known
Reaction score
Thanks, Nicole. I'm hoping that he pulls through this also. Like I said though I don't want to get my hopes up too high. Natalie

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Natalie, I am not going to yell at you or at anyone else who wants to use salt to help to regulate the excess fluid in their fish. Salt will dehydrate HEALTHY fish but in the case of a bloated fish, it will sometimes help to remove the excess fluid. I keep telling you all that salt is classified as a medicine and I have no problem whatsoever with it being used as such. My problem comes with using it on a routine, just for the heck of it, basis. This is not what you are doing and I applaud your action and am most ashamed that I did not connect the ability of salt to remove some of the fluid build up in these little ones. I would like you have cut down on the the suggested dosage to start with. If you feel it is warranted you could raise the dose some but be very careful as salt is very easy to overconcentrate.

I am so glad that the treatment is working and that he is doing some better.

Rose

OP
N

nmwierman1977

Well Known
Reaction score
Thank you. I appreciate it. I am doing the best that I can with him. Natalie

PS. I will let you know later if I received the Furan 2.

Asinity

Reaction score
While on the topic of salt, I added 1/8 tsp to Atlantis' tank to help with his bloating. After reading what you just posted, Rose, I am assuming that one dose is all that should be given?

OP
N

nmwierman1977

Well Known
Reaction score
Yes, unless you do a water change then you can just put the made up loss of it. So, if you do a 25% water change then you would put a quarter of an eighth tsp to make up for the lost amount. Natalie

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can give 1/8 teaspoon per gallon of tank water.  5 gallon tank = 5/8 teaspoon epsom salts  (dissolved in tank water then added to the tank)

When you do water changes, if you want to continue with it just add another 1/8 teaspoon of epsom salts with each gallon of water you replace.  

You do not add more epsom salts unless you do a water change to remove some of the water and then just replace what you are removing in the old water.

Rose

New Threads