HELP!! I think Royell has Dropsy

nmwierman1977

Well Known
Reaction score
God, I hope he doesn't have it. He was doing so well. And this just suddenly came on. Yesterday he was showing a little bit of bloating, but not like today. It was nothing yesterday and I thought that he was just starting to get constipated. Now I'm having my doubts. I don't know. He might have Dropsy. He's been hiding a lot this afternoon. under plants and where ever else he can go to hide. He hasn't eaten anything, not even pea treats for a day now. I want to medicate him, but I need help as far as measurements . I have Maracyn 2 on hand incase he has dropsy. I have a 3 gallon hosp. tank that he is in right now. He just seems to be getting fatter and fatter and he hasn't even eaten anything. Please help me. I don't want tolose another Betta, especially since I've barely had him a month. Natalie

PS Here are some pics that I took earlier of him today. Of course since then he looks bigger.

antisen

Reaction score
If you have a measuring cup, you can dissolve the powder into 10 oz of water and then pour 6 oz of that into the tank (3 for subsequent treatments, as per instructions). The rest can be kept in the fridge until the next use.

A little less exact if you only have "cup" measurements is to do the same, dissolving the medication instead into 1 cup and then using a little less than 2/3 a cup (and a little less than 1/3 for subsequent treatments).

Hope that helps and send my very best wishes to Royell. I do hope it is something less serious.

LZ Floyd

Reaction score
Couldn't really see anything from the pics, Natalie. But antison has the same measures I'm using.

Best of luck to you and Royell. Fingers crossed.

Mike

antisen

Reaction score
What kind of digital camera are you using? Usually digital cameras have a macro setting (the little flower) that lets you focus pictures from much closer up... This might help give us a better view.

A top view would also help identify any "classic dropsy" signs.

Again the very best of luck,
Whitney

OP
N

nmwierman1977

Well Known
Reaction score
I think he definitely has Dropsy. His skin on the side of his body and underneith where he is bloated are raised like pinecones. This is really disappointing because he was doing so well and showed no signs of being sick until yesterday. I don't know if I can save him. It might be too late. :'(
Natalie :'(

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Natalie,

Look at him from the top.  If his scales are pine coney from the top you may have a dropsy problem but if not it could be that he is really plugged and may have eaten something that you are unaware of.  Since you have Ernie in there with him it would probably be better to remove him to the hospital tank and bring Burt back.  Furan-2 has now started putting on their label that it is effective against Dropsy.  It will be a capsule dissolved in 10 ounces and then give 1 ounce for every gallon of TANK SIZE (3 gallon tank = 3 ounces).  I am not in favor of saving medications over unless you are using the retained medications strictly to make up for water changes in an uncycled tank.  New dosages need to be NEW medications.  
Day 2 give the same size dose.
Day 3 do a 25% water change and give the same size dosage.
Day 4 do the same size dosage.
Day 5 do a  25% water change and either put the carbon filter back if he is well or begin with Day 1 dosage again and repeat days 1-4.  
After the second round of meds, he will need to have a break or a different med (better)

I send all the best of wishes and prayers to you and your little one.

Rose

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
I am worried that Bessie has Dropsy also.  Her bloating iis similar to what I saw on Royell, although it is hard to see the bloating in the pictures.  Can you try to get some better pictures?  I will try to get some pictures of Bessie also.  I don't know what is going on for sure, but I would think that if it was constipation 3 days without eating would help her to get over it.

I sure hope it isn't.  I hope and pray that Royell, Bessie, and Atlantis get well soon.

CherryRose

OP
N

nmwierman1977

Well Known
Reaction score
Rose I already have him in the hosp. tank. He's been in there for a few hours now. I have maracyn2 which also is supposed to help cure Dropsy. I did do what you said to do and looked above him and his scales do look raised. Now do I do the same dosgae amounts for the maracyn2. After the tablest dissolves I was going to put in 3 oz. Natalie

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes but do not refrigerate or hold over the remainder. Use a new tablet every day. I am not sure that in a cycled tank where you are not having to accomodate daily water changes the held over meds work the same. You need to put 3 ounces of newly made up solution every day.

Rose

OP
N

nmwierman1977

Well Known
Reaction score
OK. Thanks. we willse if he has any improvenment once he's on it. I'm still waiting for the stupid thing to dissolve. It's taking forever. Natalie

I just put in the first dose of medicine tonight at 8:00. I will repeat this again at 8:00 tomorrow night and so on for the week. Hopefully this will work. If it doesn't then he may just have a bad case of constipation. Thanks for everyone's help. Natalie

PS
cherryrose said:
I am worried that Bessie has Dropsy also. Her bloating iis similar to what I saw on Royell, although it is hard to see the bloating in the pictures. Can you try to get some better pictures? I will try to get some pictures of Bessie also. I don't know what is going on for sure, but I would think that if it was constipation 3 days without eating would help her to get over it.

I sure hope it isn't. I hope and pray that Royell, Bessie, and Atlantis get well soon.

CherryRose
I do hope that Bessie does not have Dropsy too. I wish you all the luck with her, CherryRose. Natalie

I found Royell this morning on top floating in the top cornernear the heater this morning. That always seemed to be his favorite corner when I first brought him home. When I left for work he was in the barrels. He's swimming around a little bit, but he is very unstable. He wouldn't allow me to look at him from the top to see if his scales were still raised. He is still pretty bloated looking. His whole front area looks fat. I tried feeding him a pea this morning, but he just ignored it. Natalie

heatmisr

Reaction score
Oh, Natalie, I am so sorry to hear that Royell is not doing well. You are both in my prayers and I hope that he gets better soon.

Nicole

Phloxface

Well Known
Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear that! :'( I hope he gets better. I would start Maracyn ASAP as sick fish get worse very quickly.
My fish and I will pray for him.

OP
N

nmwierman1977

Well Known
Reaction score
Thank you all for the well wishes. I started the Maracyn2 last night as soon as I saw that his scales were raised. I hope that he makes it through this. It's just weird because when he was in the hospital tank for a week he was fine. Then I put him in his 5 gallon and he was fine all week. All of a sudden he get's sick and I can't figure out why? Does anyone know how they end up getting Dropsy? What causes it? ??? Natalie

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So far all I have gotten from the books is that it is probably caused by Bacterial and/or Viral infections, metabolic or nutritional disorders. We will hope for a bacterial infection as that is the most easily dealt with. The others are harder. It can appear in an otherwise healthy and maintained aquarium or pond so the cause is very difficult to determine usually. It is marked by protruding scales noted most generally from a top view, swollen body, reddening at the base of the fins or ulcers on the body. The coloration of the fish can darken and the gills become pale. They can also have a pop-eyed look. Fluid accumulates in the body cavity and there is a good chance of kidney failure. In one of the books, it recommends to give the fish the best possible water quality, the best possible food and keep them in a separate tank. Sounds like you have it covered. Also a broad spectrum antibiotic that treats both gram positive and gram negative bacterial infections is recommended.

You have my best wishes and prayers coming your way. I do hope he will improve.

Rose

OP
N

nmwierman1977

Well Known
Reaction score
Thanks Rose. I've been trying to feed him just pea, just incase this is just a fluke and he is just constipated, so should I just keep trying to feed him pea if he'll ever decide to eat it? Mr. red was never this stubborn about not eating peas. Royell has had them before and he chowed them down, but now that he's sick he won't eat anything. I'm afraid to feed him any worms and he hasn't been wanting the flakes at all because he's lost insterest in them anymore. I don't know what else to do for him. I will look for anymore signs that you have listed here in your post and just pray that he doesn't have any of them. His whole entire front of his body his just completely blown up like a balloon. His eyes aren't popping out yet.

I'll kepp you posted. Thanks again. Natalie

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't know what to tell you about the other foods but if it gets much beyond 5 days without him eating, give him anything he will eat. I do not think he will eat but maybe he is just waiting for the right thing. I cannot imagine that though.

I am here. Did you get your e-mail?

Rose

OP
N

nmwierman1977

Well Known
Reaction score
No, sorry. I didn't know you sent me one. I will check it now. Thanks. Natalie

I got your email. I really appreciate that. I emailed you back. Do you not think the Maracyn2 is strong enough? I just remembered none of the stores have furan. I'd have order it from Dr. foster and smith. I forgot about that. I guess I'll accept you sending me some although I do feel terrible about it because you paid for that for yourself and now you are sending it off to me. Well Thank you so much for your help, So, when I get it should I wait and see if the Maracyn 2 is working and hold off on the Furan? Natalie

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Does Maracyn2 specifically say that it treats Dropsy? The reason I wanted to send some was because it definitely said that it treats dropsy. I would go ahead and keep him on the Maracyn2 if it treats dropsy otherwise switch to the Furan-2.

Rose

New Threads