Help, I Think My Tank Might Be Sick

Lauradesu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So when I first started cycling my 50 gallon tank stupid me picked up 24 possibly (the store told me) parasite infected goldfish. I got rid of them after 4 days cleaned the substrate with a siphon and sent them back and I put my two ryukins in there and bought two more. The first two ryukins I originally had are right now the only survivors I lost the other two to something similar. They both had red swollen gills and just laid at the bottom of the tank and did nothing they didnt even eat. This is about two days apart. I had to remove both of them and put them in the hospital tank, each time I did they just went belly up. I don't know what's in my tank I know it's not ammonia but please help me because if I loose my other two ryukins that me and my fiance are very attached to we dont know what we will do. They are both healthy on inspection and never lay at the bottom of the tank and are always swimming around and always hungry but we feed them every other day. What should we do....

Lauradesu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I use the big Al's step 1 dechlorinator it does everything. Also nitrites are at 0.25ppm have been for two days and....gill flukes? I'll look into that, further more the two ryukin also were doing the same things not eating when fed (we feed them high class of gel food that literally has everything for goldfish) and they looked extremely thin at the end and yeah swollen gills and belly up

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hm, goldfish should be able to handle 0.25 ammonia unless they're sick with something else. You said it's been 0.25 for two days, was it higher before? Were the stomachs red/pink at all? Try feeding blanched veggies, they normally go for those (mine only eats shelled blanched peas so far, he doesn't go after leafy greens, which is unusual but don't worry about it if they won't go after spinach).

Lauradesu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Rtessy said:
Hm, goldfish should be able to handle 0.25 ammonia unless they're sick with something else. You said it's been 0.25 for two days, was it higher before? Were the stomachs red/pink at all? Try feeding blanched veggies, they normally go for those (mine only eats shelled blanched peas so far, he doesn't go after leafy greens, which is unusual but don't worry about it if they won't go after spinach).
The food we feed them is a gel and had that all in it, but we feed them peas as well we tried to feed them blanched baby spinnach but they didnt go for it like they do peas. The ammonia is literally at 0.06 now just did a test this morning

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom