Help I think my plecos dieing!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Marlfox, Aug 10, 2014.

1. M

Marlfox New Member Member

My pleco(Jerry jr the second- dont ask) has recently started acting strange. I have had him for about a month now and has been healthy until a day ago he turned whitish gray and the next day I thought he was dead. But as I poked him a little he swam off. I had to go to church so I left him and when I returned he was floating on top, but wasnt dead. I did a water change and tht seemed to help a little i also gave him zucchini, but I haven't seen him touch it, now every so often he spazzes out swimming around in circles, upside down, and running into things until he latches onto something for a little while and then floats back up to the surface. Sometimes it seemed he was trying to swim down but he couldn't, any idea of what it is?

My tank is a ten gallon until I either can find a better one for my bearded dragon, in which i will move them to his 55 galon long or a bigger one for them. it houses two comet goldfish and Jerry. (Please excuse any spelling mistakes I'm doing this on a broken iPod)

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Marlfox welcome to FishLore!

I'm so sorry your pleco isn't well.

When things aren't going right one of the first things to rule out are water conditions.
    Do you know the readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

3. OP
    OP
    M

Sadly, I returned from church tonight and found my Jerry dead, for real this time.

now, I have only recently saved the fish tank from my sisters room, so I haven't had to much experience actually keeping the fish other than my beta. Since I brought it into my room and have done research an realized keeping a fish tank requires much more than food and a filter. As soon as I can I plan on getting a kit but with school starting soon I'm busy an haven't had time, so I don't know any I that stuff :/ sorry for rambling but I always feel like I need to explain myself... Thanks for trying to help anyways :)

RIP Jerry

4. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I'm really sorry to hear about Jerry. :(

Don't worry about rambling. Most of us do.
    So with school starting you know about homework right?
    I'm going to assign some also. lol

Here is
    FishLore's Free E-Book

It's got a great deal of info to get you started on the right foot.

Good luck!

5. OP
    OP
    M

6. A

Alex126 Valued Member Member

My royal pleco had the same symptoms. I did not have drift wood at first. After I did get the chance to get some and put it in he went under it go about 3weeks. He only came out at night for food. But after tht he has been fine sence. Did you have drift wood?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. OP
    OP
    M

No, I used to have a lo thing but I had one pleco get stuck in it. it was from Walmart so I had to convince my parents to take me somewhere else but we didnt get to in time.

8. A

Alex126 Valued Member Member

Maybe that was the reason. The pleco eats the wood to help digest it's food.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

9. OP
    OP
    M

Really? I never knew that thanks :)

10. I love my puffer

I love my puffer Valued Member Member

How big was your pleco,goldfish, and tank?

11. OP
    OP
    M

my pleco was about 1 and a half inches and the two goldfish are about two inches in a ten gallon tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice