HELP: I think my mystery snails isd laying eggs underwater?

1. newmollyowner Initiate Member

HELP: I think my mystery snails are laying eggs underwater?

Ok I think my snails are having eggs underwater. Everything I have read says they have clusters above the tank line but, their is gelly like substances that are being dropped from my black mystery snail. I dont know whats going on. I bought 5 originally, 1 gold or yellow, 4 black. 1 black died and 1 dissapeared. I know for sure my gold snail is a male. He is the most active even during the day. The black ones are more sluggish. Also I know this might sound crazy, but How do their shells get bigger? I originally thought people provided them, but i read something about calcium to help them stay strong. HELP

20gal. tank
    ph 7.8
    temp 78
    6 Bloody parrot Cichlids
    1 pleco
    2 molly
    3 mysterysnails

2. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Hello Newmollyowner :)

Mystery snails can only lay eggs above the water line if there is enough room - (about three inches). If they lay under the water, the eggs drown. What color are the jelly blobs?

Mystery snails grow their shells much the same way we grow our bones; they need calcium to generate healthy shells. Without calcium, the shell contains gaps and that leads to injury and infection. I just add rinsed off egg shells to my tank and replace them as they deteriorate.

High pH, hard water are best for the snail's shell, so that checks out fine.

Some links:
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/freshwater-fish-invertebrates/58328-good-snail-websites.html
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/snails/52969-mystery-snail-care.html

3. newmollyowner Initiate Member

the blobs are clear and sometimes have brown grain like things in them

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

hmmmm Interesting. The eggs should actually be pinkish in color. I hate to say it but It might just be snail poop covered in snail slime? Are the eggs sticking to the glass or just floating away? Good information from Ilovee.Too, the eggs would be in one big blob.
    Ken

5. newmollyowner Initiate Member

floating away...it sounds like poop huh?

6. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Newmolly. I would have to say yes. :) I've seen my snails poop on several occasions. Woh! I was surprised. LOL
    Ken

7. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

:giggle: Yeah sounds like snail poo covered in substrate and whatnot. I saw my snail pooing the other day - it literally trailed from him at the top of the tank to the substrate... that's 16 inches of poo string! :shock:

So yeah... mystery snails are some serious poopers.

8. newmollyowner Initiate Member

k thanks, all of you