Help! I think my goldfish has Septicemia

1. TayJay76

TayJay76 Valued Member Member

Hello all. About a couple of weeks ago I lost one of my goldfish to what I beleive was septicemia. She has red streaks all over her fins and tail. She didn't show any symptoms until the day that she passed away:(
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...-help-something-really-wrong-my-goldfish.html

Shortly after she died another one of my fish started to act weird and wasn't eating. I thought that he had the same thing so I put him in my QT and treated him with maracyn 2 for five days. After the treatment I kept him in there for an additional few days to see if he was ok to go back to the main tank. He was back to normal, therefore yesterday I put him back in the main tank.

Now another one of my fish is starting to act strange, Shortly after I put the other fish in the QT, I noticed that this fish had the same streaks ke the other fish that passed away did. Beleive me, these aren't vains, they are streaks. He still eats and moves around, but he seems like he is getting worse. He just kinda lazies around looking like he isn't feeling well. He has several on his tail and one on one of his lower anal fins. I tried to get a video of it, but I am not sure if you can see them or not, but they are there.

He still eats so at least I have time to figure out what is wrong with him, but I fear that this won't go away and he will progressively get worse.

My tank is as follows:
    My aquarium size is 55 gallons. It has been running for about six months now.

I have four filters on the tank: one aquaclear 70, whisper 50-70, powerhead with sponge, penguin biowheel for 50 gallons.

I do weekly 50% water changes.

Last water changes was Sunday I changed 50% of the water.

There are currently four four inch goldfish.

I use amquel plus and aquanova plus.

I have been feeding them hikari lionhead pellets twice a day. Brine shrimp twice a week.

My current water perameters are: Ammonia: 0 Nitrite: 0 Nitrate: 15 Ph: 7.2

Here are some photos and videos:
    581565_3100705594382_1166454801_32580036_1177604500_n-1.jpg
    581565_3100705594382_1166454801_32580036_1177604500_n.jpg
    [video]http://s1048.photobucket.com/albums/s366/tayjay76/?action=view&current=sickfish001-2.mp4[/video]

Let me know what you guys think.

2. c

catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

It does appear that your fish are suffering from septicemia. This disease is caused by an internal bacteria. With that in mind, I would find an antibiotic food and feed it to all your fish for a couple of weeks.

3. OP
    OP
    TayJay76

I quick question regarding septicemia.

In a previous post, one of my fish came down with septicemia(he had streaks and was lazying around). I put him in a QT and treated him for five days with Maracyn 2. He eats great, does the scavenger behaivior, and seems actve. However, the streaks still remain on his tail. Should I treat him a second time, or will the streaks fade in time? I'd like to put him back in the main tank since he seems fine other than the streaks. Let me know thanks guys:)

4. A

Aarchangel New Member Member

From the info I found about this illness on Google it seems to do water changes frequently to prevent the illness and aquarium salt will help him out too. I personally would wait another week of isolation just to make sure your sick baby doesn't pass it on to your other fish. =D

5. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

6. OP
    OP
    TayJay76

Aquarium salt and septicemia

I hae lready treated my goldfish for five days in QT with maracyn 2. All his behavior and activity seems normal other than the red streaks on his tail that still remain. Will aqaurium salt help those streaks go away?

7. baggy007

baggy007 Well Known Member Member

hi tayjay
    sorry to hear about your goldfish

i currently have a comet with septicemia, im currently tereating her in a QT tank, i cant get maracyn 2 here but other people on here suggested that i use aquarium salt and also soaking her food in garlic to boost her immune system

seems to be working, the only signs left is the red streaks in her fins but have only been treating her for 3 days

dont know if the salt and garlic will cure it but it cant do any harm

you could buy food with antibiotics in but you would have to research this as i havnt used them myself

you could have a look at my thread ( whats wrong ) might give you some pointers

keep us posted

8. OP
    OP
    TayJay76

Thanks baggy007:)

I'll check it out.

9. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

:animal0068: have merged 3 of your threads all dealing with your Goldfish and Hemorrhagic Septicemia. I think it will be a lot less confusing to other members.

I have also added a link into post #1 above to help clarify matters, and so others can see how it all started.

Best wishes for your fish!

Thanks!

Ken