Help I think my fish is dying!!

1. orbelina Member Member

Not sure but is one of my gouramis ill?

One of my three pearls is acting really strangely, I don't know what I have as in males and females but one of them is just sitting (so to speak) on the top of a small cave in the corner of the tank...
    It keeps swimming to the top taking a breath then going back down again....
    We did a large water change on Thursday ....we have a new 180l tank and we are using the fluval u2 filter from the 60l tank aswell as the juwel filter...I will admit it isn't completey cycled but it is sooo close I can taste it!
    Water parameters as of two hours ago were
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrites 0.3
    Nitrates 5-10ppm
    Ph 6
    I'm going to do another test in the morning and probably another water change...I haven't fed them today..in fact since we changed the tank about a week and a half ago, I've only been feeding every other day to keep waste down...:confused:

2. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

Is it on its side?

3. orbelina Member Member

No its just kind of floating staring at its self in the reflection on the tank...my husband just told me that when he came down this morning it was facing upwards but still in the same spot :confused:
    Sorry it isn't a better picture but my mobile camera sometimes has brain farts...the only other thing we can think of, is it seems that the other two have paired off, would it be plausible its been attacked because of this?

Attached Files:

4. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

They are easily sexed by the dorsal fin - males are pointy and will grow to reach the tail fin, while females have a short, rounded fin.

If you could identify the sexes of them, that could help a lot.

5. orbelina Member Member

Thank you I will try :)

6. orbelina Member Member

Well if that's the case it looks like I have three females!! Hopefully you can see on this pic but all three are the same
    Update she actually swam off a while ago and has eaten so I'm not sure what was going on...would it make more sense to try to get a male?

Attached Files:

7. orbelina Member Member

Okay my post this morning explains the situation in more detail...but basically I have a pearl gourami who is now just sitting on a piece of slate at the bottom of the tank and breathing quite slowly...what do I do? Is it too late to do anything and if it is do I need to help it along...(I can't bare the thought of it suffering)...what would I need to do? All the shops are closed now until tomorrow..

8. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi orbelina, your threads have been merged.
    It's best to stick to one thread so the members know the background and what has already been suggested.

Too, it will help you to have the responses in one place.

I'm sorry your fish is ill. Good luck.

9. orbelina Member Member

Well that's that then she passed away

10. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:( I'm so sorry.

11. orbelina Member Member

At least it wasn't too gruesome she almost just stopped if you know what I mean...I lost a female fighter a while ago and that was awful to see...all the bobbing up and down from the top to the bottom of the tank :(

12. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

:;eye:;eyeI'm sorry you lost your fish. It is always such a sad thing, we get so attached.:eek: