HELP! I think my Betta is injured

BenjiBear

So I want to make this quick as I need to know what to do with him.

I started his water change and everything was going fine but i had to leave halfway through for a few hours. I removed his heater from its suction cups and laid it int he water so he wouldnt get cold while i was gone.

When I got back, I continued on but noticed his big pond snail friend had died. Im sure it wasnt today it died as the shell was already going pale at the bottom and I hadnt seen it but didnt think anything because its a snail, they get everywhere. So i removed it immediately and goop fell out of the shell, horrible. Vincent, the betta in question, came to look at what had gone in the water and that was when I noticed his fin.

One of his ventral fins have a bubble like formation on it and is floating by his body. It was feeding time anyway so i fed him to get pics and he ate as usual and seems to swim as usual. This was not here yesterday, dare i say before I left. Im worried he's burnt himself on the heater and its a blister. I have pics

20210518_203106.jpg
20210518_203059.jpg

What do i do??

Sofiafish17

I have never seen or heard of anything like that before. Let me call in some of the tons of betta usernames or experts on here!
Betta'sAnonymous
betta06

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

If he acting normal, he probably not affected too much at least. I would keep the water clean, because that looks like a blister to me too, and figure eventually it will pop. Maybe some aquarium salt or stress guard can help with healing.

Upvote 0

BenjiBear

Great, I'm actually due to get more water conditioner so I'll add some to my basket. I take it i shouldn't try to pop it alone? Oh and will IAL be beneficial?

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Great, I'm actually due to get more water conditioner so I'll add some to my basket. I take it i shouldn't try to pop it alone? Oh and will IAL be beneficial?
IAL very well might be. Well...again, if you want to try popping it yourself...again with the clean water! That one is on you, though. I know fish can heal wounds fairly quick, not sure on burns.

Upvote 0

Sofiafish17

Again I’m not sure but immediately my gut says NO DON’T POP IT
IMO the stress you would cause by doing that is not a risk worth taking as fish are pretty good at healing, and especially fins seem to grow back very healthy. And not that I think you would do it wrong but I just think the risk of making a mistake is too great.
Also, IAL are good anytime, but if he seems to be acting normal there is no need to get them. They are always very helpful though, so it could be very beneficial.

Upvote 0

betta06

Again I’m not sure but immediately my gut says NO DON’T POP IT
IMO the stress you would cause by doing that is not a risk worth taking as fish are pretty good at healing, and especially fins seem to grow back very healthy. And not that I think you would do it wrong but I just think the risk of making a mistake is too great.
Also, IAL are good anytime, but if he seems to be acting normal there is no need to get them. They are always very helpful though, so it could be very beneficial.
I agree with Sofiafish17 I don't think I would pop it either but it is up to you. IAL would be good for him but not really necessary but if you can I would get them! clean water is the most important thing fo him though I would do smaller water changes more often other them one big one once a week.

Upvote 0

BenjiBear

So I went out to walk my dog and by the time i came back its like gone?? He still seems fine so im just gonna keep him clean and maybe add some IALs

I would do smaller WCs but for me its just not economical. I have 8 tanks at current to take care of and have a cleaning rotation for them all to make my life easier :)

Upvote 0

Rose of Sharon

Glad it worked out....he's a pretty boy!!!!
And I have never seen anything like that before, either!

Upvote 0

BenjiBear

Glad it worked out....he's a pretty boy!!!!
And I have never seen anything like that before, either!

Thank you! I'll make sure he knows it too :D
It was honestly very weird...he does have a ventral fin thats deformed and i wondered it it had anything to do with that. The main thing is tho that hes okay and happy :)

Upvote 0

Rose of Sharon

They can be little dudes with attitude, can't they!

And I agree with betta06, if you can stand it, Indian Almond Leaves are a good idea. Some people don't like the brown tint, but the bettas do love it!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BenjiBear
Replies
Views
Kristennn143
  • Question
Replies
Views
MisterSnuffles