Help.. i think my apistogramma has a swim bladder issue.

Kanti113

Hey, so I just transferred my fish to a new tank they are all looking happy. Except it seem my apistogramma is having problems staying down. I noticed it not long after I had put him in, he was just struggling to head down then would float back towards surface. I currently have him in a seperated mini breeder so he doesn't have to find somewhere to hold himself down all the time. I figured he may have gulped some air or hopefully not I may have hurt him trying to transfer. I've read that I shouldn't feed him but also maybe feed him a skinless pea. Ill post an update tomorrow hopefully he's feeling better by then. Any advice as to maybe why, a remedy or even anyone who has had this issue would great.

Attachments

• 16306736774487138968518536628855.jpg
    16306736774487138968518536628855.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 16

MacZ

Welcome to Fishlore,

First of all, please take the fish out of the breeder box. These things are pure stress for any fish in it. It's in the open, gets bright lights and is pretty much a sitting duck. When a cichlid like an Apistogramma isn't feeling well, it's best it has at least the chance to find a spot to hide. Yes, it's hard to watch a fish with buoyancy issues trying to swim down, but that way, IF it is just gulped air, the fish has a chance to pass said air through it's system. In the box nothing will happen.

Secondly, the "pea treatment" is an urban legend. Especially with carnivorous fish like Apistogramma it's useless. Originally it was used on goldfish and even there it usually doesn't do anything.

The reasons can be many. Gulped air, bloat from the wrong food, bacterial infections... Please copy and fill out the >> emergency template << The info you're giving is sparse.

Kanti113

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 120ltr 900mm x 300mm x 450mm

How long has the tank been running? 1wk (with 3mth aged original tank substrate and 50% (new tank size) water 50% new water with quick start api.

Does it have a filter? 1 x 104f maxi aquaone internal (new) + 1x original aquaone hangon with aged ceramic noodles

Does it have a heater? 150w glass heater
What is the water temperature? 27*c
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
1 X red dwarf gourami 5cm
1x Double red apistogramma 3.5cm
2. German rams 3cm
2x Albino corydoras 3cm
5x Lemon tetra 2cm
2x bristlenose 4cm

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? 1 - 2wk original tank
How much of the water do you change? 1/5 to 1/4
What do you use to treat your water? Quick start api every change. Ammonia and chlorine conditioner api, co2 booster every 2 changes + leaf zone.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Yes vacuum every 2wk

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes normally with the original.

What do you use to test the water? api 5 in 1 test strip's + api ammonia NH3 / NH4 tester ( also standard pH test liquid test just for oh checks)

What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0 original tank, new 0
Nitrite: 0 original tank, new 0
Nitrate: 0 original tank, new between 0 - 20
pH: 7.3 original , new 7.5

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? 1 to 2 times per day missing 1 day a wk

How much do you feed your fish? Enough to let them finish in 30sec to 1 min

What brand of food do you feed your fish? Aqua one fish flakes small amount, hikari micro pellets, and 1 algae wafer

Do you feed frozen? not usually, but I had some cherry shrimp not acclimatise to a jar set up properly and died so I froze them straight after and added one to my tank.

Do you feed freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 1mth

How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? about 30 mins - 1hr after adding it to the new tank.

In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? have in trouble staying down, constantly swimming down wards to stay off surface. can reach bottom but cant stay down.

Have you started any treatment for the illness?
no, did have placed in breeder box but have now released.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?no
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Nothing other than floating issue. Had tried lodging underneath objects to stay down.

Kanti113

Just an update.. whatever was causing the swimbladder issue seems to have cleared.. it's now returned to its nobleman swimming ability, with no behaviour differences
Normal* swimming habits
Normal* swimming habits

MacZ

Just an update.. whatever was causing the swimbladder issue seems to have cleared.. it's now returned to its nobleman swimming ability, with no behaviour differences

Normal* swimming habits

Normal* swimming habits
Great to hear.

What brand of food do you feed your fish? Aqua one fish flakes small amount, hikari micro pellets, and 1 algae wafer

Do you feed frozen? not usually, but I had some cherry shrimp not acclimatise to a jar set up properly and died so I froze them straight after and added one to my tank.

I think we also have the main culprit: That diet is less than ideal for most of your fish.
I would switch to mainly frozen and live foods soon. Also, unless you know absolutely why the shrimp died, don't make fishfood of them.
For all your fish (except the bristlenose, get some fresh veggies additionally for them) a mix of live and/or frozen Artemia, Daphnia, white mosquito larvae and frozen or freezedried tubifex would be a good diet. 1-2x each live or frozen per week with 1-2 fast days.

I would also probably rehome all the catfish.

Kanti113

Great to hear.

I think we also have the main culprit: That diet is less than ideal for most of your fish.
I would switch to mainly frozen and live foods soon. Also, unless you know absolutely why the shrimp died, don't make fishfood of them.
For all your fish (except the bristlenose, get some fresh veggies additionally for them) a mix of live and/or frozen Artemia, Daphnia, white mosquito larvae and frozen or freezedried tubifex would be a good diet. 1-2x each live or frozen per week with 1-2 fast days.

I would also probably rehome all the catfish.
Any suggestions on what veggies would be most beneficial?

Ouse

Any suggestions on what veggies would be most beneficial?
Try out cucumber and zucchini. I used to try carrots, but they made a mess and my BN ignored them. All I feed to my BN in terms of vegetables is an occasional cucumber, held down by a stainless steel fork.

MacZ

Bristlenose plecos are omnivores. A piece of cucumber or zucchini once in a while additionally to the frozen foods should be enough.

I hope the BN plecos are not a pair. If so, rehome one of them or you might drown in plecos at some point.

Kanti113

Na they're both females

MacZ

At 4cm that might still look like it, keep an eye on them, you will knwo what to do if one develops bristles.

Ouse

I somehow missed the part where you mention the bristlenoses are both only 4cm in length at the moment. I got my bristlenose when he was just a tiddler. When he was 4cm, he had no bristles on his face. He’s pretty much fully-grown now at six inches, and his face is covered in bristles. There’s no doubting he’s a male anymore.

Even females grow some bristles, however this is limited to around the mouth rather than on top of the snout.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Macandcheesequeen
Replies
Views
SpottedKit329
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views