HELP! I think I've got red algae!

1. natnhat

natnhat New Member Member

I just figured it out last night, but I've definitely got a funky algae situation! Thanks to all who helped in the past, my water is clean & clear & my fish are happy. I change my food to NLS as y'all suggested, & since it was red I thought that's what was stuck in my white rocks.

My guess at the culprit is that I bought 4 giant marimo moss balls a couple weeks ago. I had bought 1 at the pet store & it was doing well, so I thought more would be nice as my fish love to play with the balls, roll them around & etc. Anyway it became apparent that the balls weren't thriving like the 1st one from Petsmart & when I read that Red Algae usually comes in on infected plants, I yanked all of the new moss balls out of my tank. But left the original, healthy one.

I'm about to do a water change... but I'd really like some help! What do I do? How can I possibly be so unlucky with such a small aquarium?! Here's some pictures that I hope will help....
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. OP
    OP
    natnhat

After I took the pictures, I yanked out all of the offending moss balls.

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

How long has your tank been setup? They look like diatoms, and that's very common in new aquariums (likely unrelated to the moss balls).

4. OP
    OP
    natnhat

It's been set up since mid- February. Is that a "new aquarium" still? This stuff is multiplying like crazy. I did a water change to suck up what I could, but it seems hardly enough. Do I need to add any chemicals? Y'all have got me to where I only use Prime...

5. TexasDomer

Chemicals are rarely necessary for algae problems. How long is your light on? Is the tank getting an my sunlight?

6. leftswerve

leftswerve Well Known Member Member

did you change the substrate? White rock shows it real good.

7. OP
    OP
    natnhat

I haven't yet changed the substrate. Mostly because I can't think of how to do it without freaking out my fish! How do y'all go about it?

8. TexasDomer

How long is your light on? Is the tank getting an my sunlight?

Substrate changes are very easy. During a large water change, remove some of the rocks and replace it with washed sand. Every water change, change 1/3-1/4 of the substrate over.

9. o

oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello nat...

Never heard of this type of algae in a freshwater tank. Red algae is in marine (salt water) tanks. Some algae is good. It means you have a healthy tank. I let algae grow on all the sides of the tank, except the front. Algae is a natural water filter and uses excess nutrients. If you want to control it better, then up your water changes and feed the fish a little less. Algae isn't really a problem.

Old