Question Help! I think I’ve confused myself.

vyrille

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well I can’t undo what had already been done but I haven’t done anything further . I was under the impression you had to wait 24hrs to check ppm after a water change and the ammonia in the tank is harmless due to the conditioner up until that point and api test kit can’t read the difference
Yes, i was merely reminding not to scrub the rest of the gravel, decor, filter further for now. And, correct, if you dosed prime, then we'll need to wait..

Christin825

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I seem to have some of the fish glass surfing , I don’t wanna do two changes in a day ? Especially my not know the reading ?Suggestions

vyrille

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I seem to have some of the fish glass surfing , I don’t wanna do two changes in a day ? Especially my not know the reading ?Suggestions
You mean swimming along the glass? I would take it as them still being new to the tank and are still adjusting. Just remember to check their water again tomorrow and act accordingly..

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can check your ammonia level now if you want, tetra aquasafe does not have any effect on your ammonia level.
You can get Prime if you want to. It will convert ammonia, up to 1 ppm, to ammonium for 48 hours then has to be redosed.
You are right that the API ammonia test doesn't differentiate between ammonia (NH3-bad for fish) and ammonium (NH4-harmless to fish). If you want to set your mind at ease, ...when you get the Prime, also get a Seachem ammonia alert. It is a disk that attaches to the side of yoor tank and will only react to the harmful ammonia (NH3)
https://www.chewy.com/seachem-alert-series-ammonia-reading/dp/131153?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Seachem&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6KrtBRDLARIsAKzvQIGbWsD18nXtVOS2MTVxMy6MjDYdACOxRFmw5VOzWbmyDTb8Xb2S7ScaAu3HEALw_wcBThat way, if your API test says you have ammonia in your tank and the Seachem ammonia alert says you don't, you will know the API test is reacting to the harmless ammonium rather than actual ammonia.

Christin825

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Prime has been ordered via amazon and will be here Monday , currently have tetra aqua safe . This mornings readings were .50ammonia , 0nitrie ,20 ppm nitrate .
I’m doing 50% change today . Suggestions? Have I shocked it ?

Christin825

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yes , I’m gonna have to get to the lfs to get that. They seem a lot better I’m not seeing near as much surfing . Waters a lot clearer too. Will check again tomorrow! I guess I’m gonna just do changes as I see needed until I can just go to 25% weekly?

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes , I’m gonna have to get to the lfs to get that. They seem a lot better I’m not seeing near as much surfing . Waters a lot clearer too. Will check again tomorrow! I guess I’m gonna just do changes as I see needed until I can just go to 25% weekly?
You need to keep your ammonia level below 1 ppm and nitrates less than 20. So for awhile, test your water every couple days and figure out how big and how frequent your water changes need to be. You'll need to dose all replacement water with Prime aand the whole tank volume with it every 48 hours while you have ammonia (NH3) or nitrITES present in the tank. Does that help?

Christin825

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If I’m doing a water change with prime and I’m dosing a gallon would that be 1ml? And yes, helps a lot . Now if im doing water changes daily I wouldn’t have to dose every 48 would I? My nitrate is still 20 ppm even doing daily changes . I’m not actually cleaning

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If I’m doing a water change with prime and I’m dosing a gallon would that be 1ml? And yes, helps a lot . Now if im doing water changes daily I wouldn’t have to dose every 48 would I? My nitrate is still 20 ppm even doing daily changes . I’m not actually cleaning
No, it's 1 ml per 10 gallons. It would be 1/10 of a ml to treat 1 gallon. Why are you only treating 1 gallon?

Christin825

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I was asking because when I do my water changes I fill it back up per gallon or use just a gallon pitcher so I was curious as to what measurements would be

Would it be best just to dose the whole aquarium after I’ve added the water ?

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I was asking because when I do my water changes I fill it back up per gallon or use just a gallon pitcher so I was curious as to what measurements would be

Would it be best just to dose the whole aquarium after I’ve added the water ?
You could just treat the first gallon with dechlorinator to treat all the water you're replacing, add it to the tank, then add the rest of the water.

Christin825

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I actually just ordered a dropper bottle of it in the 50ml, should be two drops per gallon per what seachem said directly . Anyway still see improvement to the tank I appreciate all the advice !

Morpheus1967

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I just want to double check something with you. You said you started this fishless cycle using Dr. Tim's Ammonia? I am assuming you mean ammonium chloride? The reason I ask is because 58 drops in a 29 gallon aquarium would not give you anywhere near 5ppm of ammonia. Per the instructions on the bottle, you need to add 4 drops per gallon (in your case 116 drops) to get a reading of 2ppm. Since it seems you have been consistently testing and getting readings, are you sure you are testing for ammonia correctly?

(If using something other than Dr. Tim's Ammonium Chloride, disregard).

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just want to double check something with you. You said you started this fishless cycle using Dr. Tim's Ammonia? I am assuming you mean ammonium chloride? The reason I ask is because 58 drops in a 29 gallon aquarium would not give you anywhere near 5ppm of ammonia. Per the instructions on the bottle, you need to add 4 drops per gallon (in your case 116 drops) to get a reading of 2ppm. Since it seems you have been consistently testing and getting readings, are you sure you are testing for ammonia correctly?

(If using something other than Dr. Tim's Ammonium Chloride, disregard).
There are fish in the tank now. OP isn't dosing ammonia any more.

Morpheus1967

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There are fish in the tank now. OP isn't dosing ammonia any more.
I know that. I am talking about when she originally posted. There is no way 58 drops in a 29 gallon tank gives you a reading of 5ppm, as she stated. So I am wondering with only 58 drops (half of what you need for a reading of 2ppm in a 29 gallon tank) she was able to register 5ppm. Something is amiss.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know that. I am talking about when she originally posted. There is no way 58 drops in a 29 gallon tank gives you a reading of 5ppm, as she stated. So I am wondering with only 58 drops (half of what you need for a reading of 2ppm in a 29 gallon tank) she was able to register 5ppm. Something is amiss.
Something may have been then, you're right... she now has an ammonia alert and will be able to tell if there is actually NH3 in the tank and compare that to her API ammonia test results. The ammonia thing may have been a dosing interpretation thing and more than 58 drops may have been added, or thre may have been ammonia in the water to start with. Kinda moot now.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom