Help... I rearranged one side of my 29 gallon and fish are acting stressed.

aidanfish2002

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Today I got some plants in the mail and I had to rearrange one side of my tank to accomodate the new plants. I have a HOB filter and a sponge filter running in the tank along with an airstone. The filters are on one side and the air stone is on the other side. This should be enough aeration and oxygenation for the tank but my corys are swimming quickly to the top for air and one of my blue dwarf gouramis is staying near the surface. There is clearly an oxygen problem but why??? The only thing I moved was my sponge filter and all I did was move it to the left more to make room for the new plants. I did a 50% water change and added 5 ml of prime just because. I tested the water and ammonia wasn't really coming up but the test was less orange than it usually is. Whenever I test that tank it's always a super good orange, today it was less orange but still orange. I've also added Seachem Stability just in case I need to boost my biological filtration. My fear is that whatever is stressing some of my fish, will lead to a weakened immune system and an ich outbreak or some other diseases in my fish. If this happens I will be so **** because I know this is what might be coming because the signs my fish are showing almost aways lead to some sort of illness. Please help me and give me pointers. I've done everything I think will help. The dissolved oxygen in the tank should improve from what it is and even if there is a slight amount of ammonia in the tank then the Prime should take care of it. What else am I missing?

DylanM

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Just do some small water changes to make the water as clean as possible, and make sure the water isn't too high of a temperature, that can lead to low oxygen content, but that shouldn't be a problem with an air stone. Prime, if no ammonia or nitrites are present in the tank can actually reduce the amount of oxygen if dosed too much, but 5 ml shouldn't do that on a 29. Honestly, keeping the water as clean as possible with frequent water changes is the best you can do.

FantasyFanVII

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How long has it been since you rearranged the tank? Your fish might still just be a little freaked out from the "new" environment. Some will also take longer to calm down then others. I had to move my 20 gallon 2 weeks ago, but I kept everything the same except for trimming down some tall stem plants to make life easier. It was enough that my fish weren't happy about it though. My neon tetras and danios are back to normal, but my honey gouramI is still being a little flighty. She's slowly getting over it as plants grow back though.
I'd keep an eye on water parameter and as long as nothing is out of whack I wouldn't worry too much.

OP
A

aidanfish2002

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
DylanM said:
Just do some small water changes to make the water as clean as possible, and make sure the water isn't too high of a temperature, that can lead to low oxygen content, but that shouldn't be a problem with an air stone. Prime, if no ammonia or nitrites are present in the tank can actually reduce the amount of oxygen if dosed too much, but 5 ml shouldn't do that on a 29. Honestly, keeping the water as clean as possible with frequent water changes is the best you can do.
Will do, thanks

FantasyFanVII said:
How long has it been since you rearranged the tank? Your fish might still just be a little freaked out from the "new" environment. Some will also take longer to calm down then others. I had to move my 20 gallon 2 weeks ago, but I kept everything the same except for trimming down some tall stem plants to make life easier. It was enough that my fish weren't happy about it though. My neon tetras and danios are back to normal, but my honey gouramI is still being a little flighty. She's slowly getting over it as plants grow back though.
I'd keep an eye on water parameter and as long as nothing is out of whack I wouldn't worry too much.
I haven't rearranged my tank in a couple months. I rearranged the tank for the better but it took a long time to do so, like a couple hours. That probably stressed the fish too.

FantasyFanVII

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Your fish still could just be slightly 'traumatized.' Not much you can do beyond keeping and eye on them and keeping the water clean. Don't clean it unless you have to though, or your fish might just freak out more from the disturbance. And of course don't move anything else in the tank until everyone is back to normal. I wouldn't worry too much unless your start seeing weird water test results or obvious signs of disease.

New Threads