Help I Need Advice Desperately

1. B

Betty Lou Lanagan Initiate Member

Hello I'm betty, and I had one of the most beautiful fish named Julio because he looked like the forth of July. About a month and a half ago I was dealing with a minor case of fin rot. This slowly progressed with fatigue, color loss (like turning white completely), beard detention, and tars in the fins. I have tried everything, from frequent water changes, medication, leaving it alone, but nothing has worked AT All. Now just recently I tried introducing ghost shrimp to eat the brown algae to see if that would help, and added salt to the water (1 tea spoon for 3 gallons) as other solution. But this all backfired today, because I came home to him hiding. when I got him to come out I noticed half of his back fin was straight up ripped from his body!!!!! I am freaking out. I removed the shrimp, and don't know what to do or how long this is going to take to heal. I have been trying for so long and my baby is dying; I have been in the fish hobby for 3 years and never had this happen to me. please help, this fish is part of my family. my mom loves him my sister loves him and I love him. I desperately need help.

2. LilBlub

LilBlub Well Known Member Member

First things first, what are your water parameters? And how big is his tank?

Could you upload some pictures? They could help identify the problem.

I’m very sorry this is happening to you. I know how upsetting it is when bad things start happening to your fish.

3. s

smee82 Well Known Member Member

Need to know how old he is, water parameters and tank size.

4. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Hi Betty! Welcome to Fishlore :)
    Do you have a cycled, and heated tank? How many gallons is it?
    (if you are saying it's 3 gallons, forgive me)

Fin rot is caused by poor water quality, often the leading culprit is bad maintenance.
    It's very preventable, and fixable. I would do daily water changes to help his fin, and if your tank is five gallons and under, I would drain half to nearly the entire tank. You should do water changes throughout the week in volumes of halves, or quarters, depending on the tank size.
    You shouldn't ever need to remove your fish while doing this, that'll make things worse.

I would also benefit from photos, that helps everyone.

5. Seasoldier

Seasoldier Member Member

What kind of fish?

6. OP
    OP
    B

Betty Lou Lanagan Initiate Member

he is a betta fish, I keep him in a 4 gallon tank because it's all the room I have currently for a fish tank. His water perimeters is 7.3 ph, his NO2 waver between 0-20 ppm because of my water grass I keep, their is no NO3 at all, the KH is 120 ppm and the GH is 170-180 ppm. his tank is kept between 75-78 degrees fahrenheit.

Hi!!! thank you for the advice but in my case daily water changes didn't work because I have plants. when i did that it actually raised my NO2 and NO3 greatly because it whipped out an entire species of plant in my tank. my plants didn't have enough NO2 in the first place which started the mess. but its grown so bug that I'm having trouble fixing it. I have water filters, heater and always did weekly water changes.

7. bitseriously

bitseriously Well Known Member Member

Are you maybe mixing up the formula/symbols for nitrites and nitrates?
    NO2 is nitrites, the precursor to nitrates, and are broken down naturally through the second stage of the nitrogen cycle.
    NO3 is nitrates, and usually are only lowered by water changes or plant uptake.