Help!! I Just Saw A Red Worm In My Aquascape Help

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by TimothyHartwick, Jul 2, 2019.

1. TimothyHartwick

TimothyHartwickValued MemberMember

I've recently set up a new tank (5 gallon with no intentions to put anything in it besides plants ) it doesn't have a filter or a heater. And i just saw a red worm about 5cm long. It's the second one this week. I ignored the first one and just took it out and killed it but i tried to take it off but it wiggled like a snake back into the aquasoil gravel. Please help me get rid of these pests.

2. Suzanne2

Suzanne2Valued MemberMember

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2019
  3. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

4. !poogs!

!poogs!Valued MemberMember

5. OP
    OP
    TimothyHartwick

Do they go out of the tank?

Unfortunately the link was invalid.

I think its camallanus worms, but I don't have any fish in my tank.

It does look a lot like tubifex worms. Can you please resend the link.

It just went out of the water!! IMG_20190703_113033.jpg

6. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

its not a blood worm.

try to net it out and get a close up pic.

7. richie.p

richie.pFishlore VIPMember

CAMALLANUS worm are normally introduced by fish eating infected crustations snz as therez been no life in that tank I cant see how they got there
    But I may be wrong

8. OP
    OP
    TimothyHartwick

Already threw it sorry

I think it's tubifex, 90% sure. But do they go iut of the water? And if not which species do.

9. richie.p

Ive not come across any type of worm that vacated a tank, but like anything if spooked they could I suppose, but as @Skavatar said a good pic would be better

10. OP
    OP
    TimothyHartwick

Next time I see one I’ll take more pictures

11. Suzanne2

The worm actually crawled out of your tank? That's odd. Never seen that happen with any of my various pet pond critters of the wormy kind..

Side note; I see a moderator edited my post above, so maybe the link works now. If not let me know.

12. richie.p

Did you photograph him

13. OP
    OP
    TimothyHartwick

Hellpp image1-2.jpgimage3.jpgimage0-4.jpgimage2.jpg

Yes

Yes he crawled out like most of the others. Do they die outside of the tank?

Another one IMG_20190705_105841.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2019
  14. Suzanne2

It could be a midge fly larvae of some kind. The long thin appearance makes me think of Palpomyia larvae. Harper college has some good photos of diferent aquatic midge larvae. Search Google for Leggless & Tube Dwelling Aquatic Insects dept.harpercollege.edu
    I have never actually been able to observe any of the midge larvae I had leave the water, however they do at some point in order to complete their transformation to flys. I'm not sure if they are pupae while in the water or out of the water. I always have too many plants to really see what's going on with them as they transform.

15. richie.p

Thatx interesting @Suzanne2 as I'm not getting a good picture to make any sense of it

16. OP
    OP
    TimothyHartwick

How do I get rid of them

Are these better? IMG_20190706_131102.jpgIMG_20190706_131030.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2019
  17. richie.p

Although it's a clear picture it's still a guess as to which worm, remember the eco system you are developing is going to have all sorts of weird and wonderful bugs ECT in, its just the way it works, you could treat with Fenbendazole but that will also kill all the snails and possibly other life, and rather do that I'd look a siphoning all the unwanted into a bucket and return the water, as their food source reduces they will disappear, you are always going to have explosions like this even if you treat with fenbendazole or simular they will probably return at some stage because you have no predators in the tank.

18. OP
    OP
    TimothyHartwick

Will they just keep reproducing? And will they come out of the tank? Last thing I want is my house to be invaded with these creatures.

19. richie.p

I dont know of any aquatic type worm that comes out of the tank, things like dragon fly nymph and mayfly nymph do their last morph in the tank before leaving and fly off and no danger of infesting the house and that's if your unlucky to have them, I'm not sure how these worms produce but do know that when the food source or the cycle stops they disappear, I get all types in my shrimp tanks none of them come out and I just leave them get on with it except in the case of planaria but you've no need to even worry there,

20. OP
    OP
    TimothyHartwick

Thank you my anxiety just went down by a lot.