Important Help! I Have Three Dead Guppies And Neon Tetra's Are Not Looking Good!

NoahMallory

Reaction score
S7300020.JPG
S7300021.JPG
S7300022.JPG
S7300023.JPG
Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 20 Gallon
How long has the tank been running? about 3 months, not including the 30+ years my dad has been taking care of it.
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 74 F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) Golden Inca Snails 20+ (they had babies and a lot of them),4 neon tetras,6 corydoras,I moved my male betta that didn't pick on any of the fish, and 10+ guppies -3 because they died. and ~3 ghost shrimp

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? about once every month
How much of the water do you change? around 40%
What do you use to treat your water? aquasafe and quickstart API
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? sometimes because of the baby snails and baby ghost shrimp

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
What do you use to test the water?
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia:0ppm
Nitrite:.1ppm bad
Nitrate:80ppm bad
pH:7.2

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Twice Daily
How much do you feed your fish? two pinches
What brand of food do you feed your fish? TetraMin Tropical flakes
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Sometimes like bloodworms

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 'bout a year
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Today
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Red Gills on neon tetras and panting
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Yes, PimaFix and Melafix
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? lazy and won't move

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
So I did a water change about in the last week and I treated the water and everything but then I noticed a dead guppy and it was black all over with shredded fins so I naturally assumed it was from the fin rot and of old age. Well, then I noticed another guppy that wasn't looking good and about a half hour later it was dead at the bottom with a black body and torn fins like the first one. So I disposed of it like the first one. Then I went to church this morning and when I got back I found another dead guppy looking just like the first two and now I'm concerned about the rest of the fish so I moved my betta and the corydoras into my brothers 20 gal. They do not have any of the symptoms of the rest of the fish.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok, your water change schedule needs work. You should be doing a 50% change once per week. Your nitrites and high nitrates are most likely from overfeeding. Cut your feeding back to once every other day; I promise the fish will be fine.

Your betta needs a temperature closer to 80, the low temperature combined with high nitrates isn't good for him.

If I were you I would do a 50% water change right now. That will cut your nitrite to .5ppm and your nitrate to 40ppm, on the threshold of the safe zone. Give it a few more hours and then do another 50% water change.

That should make your nitrite only .25ppm and your nitrate 20ppm. Your aquarium filtration should take care of that minute amount of nitrite.

Again, 50% weekly and feeding less will fix this issue and prevent it from happening again.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It looks to me a Water Change is needed right away ( your fish appear to be gasping for air at the top ) to get your Nitrites and Nitrates down. The nitrite level is dangerous to fish it along with Ammonia should always read 0. I would reccomend a good 40-50% WC once a week. When you do your WC's you should use Seachem Prime to neutralize the Ammonia and Nitrites when adding new water. Hope this can be of some help till others chime in. Good Luck!!

Skavatar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
NoahMallory said:
overstocked and not enough water changes = poor water quality.

start by doing 50% DAILY water changes, and use 5X Prime to help detox the nitrites. after a few days when your nitrates drop down to below 20ppm, you can do 50% water changes twice per week.

OP
N

NoahMallory

Reaction score
kallililly1973 said:
It looks to me a Water Change is needed right away ( your fish appear to be gasping for air at the top ) to get your Nitrites and Nitrates down. The nitrite level is dangerous to fish it along with Ammonia should always read 0. I would reccomend a good 40-50% WC once a week. When you do your WC's you should use Seachem Prime to neutralize the Ammonia and Nitrites when adding new water. Hope this can be of some help till others chime in. Good Luck!!
Yes I did one and now the levels are significantly lower. Thanks.

Skavatar said:
overstocked and not enough water changes = poor water quality.

start by doing 50% DAILY water changes, and use 5X Prime to help detox the nitrites. after a few days when your nitrates drop down to below 20ppm, you can do 50% water changes twice per week.
OK, I'll do that they are fine now. Except for my 2 year old betta, He died for some mysterious reason cause the water levels were perfect. There is one female guppy that is hanging at the bottom of the tank, is this normal?

Fahn said:
Ok, your water change schedule needs work. You should be doing a 50% change once per week. Your nitrites and high nitrates are most likely from overfeeding. Cut your feeding back to once every other day; I promise the fish will be fine.

Your betta needs a temperature closer to 80, the low temperature combined with high nitrates isn't good for him.

If I were you I would do a 50% water change right now. That will cut your nitrite to .5ppm and your nitrate to 40ppm, on the threshold of the safe zone. Give it a few more hours and then do another 50% water change.

That should make your nitrite only .25ppm and your nitrate 20ppm. Your aquarium filtration should take care of that minute amount of nitrite.

Again, 50% weekly and feeding less will fix this issue and prevent it from happening again.
OH and the temp is now 78 F

Mrfister1116

Reaction score
Maybe think about adding some java moss, water lettuce, or duckweed in. They soak up the nitrate and the fish seem to enjoy them. The water lettuce and duckweed are also tolerate to just about any light I’ve had them under.

YATT

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
NoahMallory said:
78F is to high for neons and Cory’s. If your Betta is out drop it down to 72. Get your nitrates down. Cut feeding.

Do0kski

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Guppies normally go to the top and skI'm for food, it is normal behavior for guppies however not for tetras. Are we sure there's enough oxygen in the tank? How's your surface agitation??

aquanerd13

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Your tank is ridiculously overstocked. You get another tank to transfer some of the fish to.

Chiefkeith912

Reaction score
It looks like your tetras might have bloat as well. And your tank is to small and has to many fish that need different temps and diet. And also only feeding flakes can cause an issue as well. I would supplement vitamans, and other foods to establish a mixed diet. I would do a 100% overhaul on the tank.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I also just noticed that the gills of the tetras are extremely red and almost look swollen to me. That is 100% from ammonia burning their gills

Andy S

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
NoahMallory said:
Yes I did one and now the levels are significantly lower. Thanks.

OK, I'll do that they are fine now. Except for my 2 year old betta, He died for some mysterious reason cause the water levels were perfect. There is one female guppy that is hanging at the bottom of the tank, is this normal?

What has happened to cause your water temperature to climb from 74 to 78?

Heron

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
NoahMallory said:
Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 20 Gallon
How long has the tank been running? about 3 months, not including the 30+ years my dad has been taking care of it.
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 74 F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) Golden Inca Snails 20+ (they had babies and a lot of them),4 neon tetras,6 corydoras,I moved my male betta that didn't pick on any of the fish, and 10+ guppies -3 because they died. and ~3 ghost shrimp

Maintenance
What do you use to treat your water? aquasafe and quickstart API
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? sometimes because of the baby snails and baby ghost shrimp

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
What do you use to test the water?
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

pH:7.2

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Twice Daily
How much do you feed your fish? two pinches
What brand of food do you feed your fish? TetraMin Tropical flakes
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Sometimes like bloodworms

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 'bout a year
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Today
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Red Gills on neon tetras and panting
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Yes, PimaFix and Melafix
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? lazy and won't move

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
So I did a water change about in the last week and I treated the water and everything but then I noticed a dead guppy and it was black all over with shredded fins so I naturally assumed it was from the fin rot and of old age. Well, then I noticed another guppy that wasn't looking good and about a half hour later it was dead at the bottom with a black body and torn fins like the first one. So I disposed of it like the first one. Then I went to church this morning and when I got back I found another dead guppy looking just like the first two and now I'm concerned about the rest of the fish so I moved my betta and the corydoras into my brothers 20 gal. They do not have any of the symptoms of the rest of the fish.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The fact you have nitrites present suggest the system is not fully cycled or the filter is overloaded. Although many sources claI'm nitrate levels don't matter I have found high levels like yours are not good, particularly for guppies. The best way to reduce nitrate levels is through water changes. I would do a few 40 percent water changes 2 days appart until you get the nitrate down to no more than 10 then after that 20 percent water changes as often as needed to stop it building up too high again. Remember when you change water you will remove some bacteria so it's best to add more bacteria ( I use API quick start ) with each water change.

Shellback

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
YATT said:
78F is to high for neons and Cory’s. If your Betta is out drop it down to 72. Get your nitrates down. Cut feeding.
FishLore says 78 is ok for Neons
Common Names : Neon Fish

Care Level : Moderate - it's a good idea to stay on top of your water changes to prevent the nitrate levels from accumulating.

Size : Up to 1.5 inches (4 cm)

pH : 5 - 7.5

Temperature : 69°F - 79°F (21°C - 26°C)

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yes, but it's not healthy too keep them at the ends of their range.72-75 would be much better

Douglas Neil Copeland

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI guys, new to the forum, and very interested as to why everyone is recommending all these additional chemicals to his system? As a commercial tropical fish farmer, with over 30 years experience, we do not use any sort of additives. We regularly keep a thousand fish per tank, 4 x 2 x 2 foot tank, without problems. And this is how we do it. Precondition the water in an outdoor tank, saturated with only oxygen, regular 100%water changes, every 3 to 4 days. Run uv sterilizers, 24/7. And there is no such thing as too big a filter. So, if you bring this method down to your home tanks, water changes and lots of oxygen, it will sort out about 99% of your problems. Remember, most bacteria and diseases don't like an oxygen rich environment.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Douglas Neil Copeland said:
HI guys, new to the forum, and very interested as to why everyone is recommending all these additional chemicals to his system? As a commercial tropical fish farmer, with over 30 years experience, we do not use any sort of additives. We regularly keep a thousand fish per tank, 4 x 2 x 2 foot tank, without problems. And this is how we do it. Precondition the water in an outdoor tank, saturated with only oxygen, regular 100%water changes, every 3 to 4 days. Run uv sterilizers, 24/7. And there is no such thing as too big a filter. So, if you bring this method down to your home tanks, water changes and lots of oxygen, it will sort out about 99% of your problems. Remember, most bacteria and diseases don't like an oxygen rich environment.
The difference though, is that your tank(s) are able to handle the load of all those fish, in this case there is no cycle so ammonia and nitrites are building up. That's the only reason we're pushing OP to use some prime, it detoxifies 1ppm of all our nitrogen compounds plus it's a dechlorinator

Douglas Neil Copeland

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes, that is true. But if he preconditions his water outside in a clean bucket with an air stone, throwing it in his tank every 3 days, won't that also lower his ammonia, nitrites and nitrates , allowing his filter to play catch up naturally without adding the problems of chemical backload? Hence the reason we changed over to uv and bio moving bed filtering, as the chemicals were causing more problems over time than they were supposed to fix. After all, I am yet to see anything that beats water changes. That's why the Asian farmers are all going to water exchange units now, no filters at all. Just massive Lakes, their water is dumped in one end, sucked back out the other. I started doing the same, just this year, and now I can breed over 1.5 million guppies in the same tanks that I was struggling with to breed less than half as much using chemicals and filters.

New Threads