Help! I have a murderer guppy

FishGirl115

Well Known
Help! This is the second guppy down because of bullying. Both were found with shredded tails and a few marks on body. How do I figure out who it is? I didn't see either attacks. Please help! I have a suspect though, this never happened until I upped the guppy number to 7. So, 3 were added. One of the new ones was one of the murdered ones. So that leaves two suspects. The one guppy is a teeny timid little thing that I couldn't believe would be able to kill These big guppies. The second however is larger than all the others and seems kinda bloated like he ate all the food.
These are all males.
How do I stop this before the bully strikes again?

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Are they all male guppies or is there females as well? You can't have all males together or it wont end well. You need a female to male ratio to help the males get "distracted" . You always want more females to males.

Do you know your current water parameters? Is your tank heavily planted as well? Having extra plants to provide hiding areas & territories will help alot as well.

FishGirl115

Well Known
Are they all male guppies or is there females as well? You can't have all males together or it wont end well. You need a female to male ratio to help the males get "distracted" . You always want more females to males.

Do you know your current water parameters? Is your tank heavily planted as well? Having extra plants to provide hiding areas & territories will help alot as well.
All males. 0,0,30. It is planted, I wouldn't call it heavily though.

jonatheber

There should be more females than males in a tank, or what you described will happen....

FishGirl115

Well Known
There should be more females than males in a tank, or what you described will happen....
They're all males

jake37

Fishlore VIP
delted. why bother.

FishGirl115

Well Known
Thats your issue is having all males and no territory spots from plants and such.
How come it didn't happen before?

jake37

Fishlore VIP
I am curious did you get all the guppies at the same time ? I have like 2 gazillion guppies in a 29 and for the most part they behave. However, I then added 4 betta to give a little spice (don't worry the guppies and the betta get along just fine). But then i added for little 1/4 inch fishes to grow out and you know the betta really objected. Well for about the first hour then they forgot about them. Betta have short memories.
--
Doesn't really help you. However, guppies do usually object to strangers so if you started with a few and added more sometimes the old ones will gang up on the new one.
-
Of course you might have gotten them all at the same time. So i have to ask you this - is the damage being done before or after the fish die.

FishGirl115

Well Known
I am curious did you get all the guppies at the same time ? I have like 2 gazillion guppies in a 29 and for the most part they behave. However, I then added 4 betta to give a little spice (don't worry the guppies and the betta get along just fine). But then i added for little 1/4 inch fishes to grow out and you know the betta really objected. Well for about the first hour then they forgot about them. Betta have short memories.
--
Doesn't really help you. However, guppies do usually object to strangers so if you started with a few and added more sometimes the old ones will gang up on the new one.
-
Of course you might have gotten them all at the same time. So i have to ask you this - is the damage being done before or after the fish die.
There were 4, then I got 3 new ones. One just got bullied to death. Second killed was an old one.
I know it's not before because the old one was still alive for a while.

FishGirl115

Well Known
Here's a picture of my tank if that helps.

Attachments

• 15943465041682103856265.jpg
    15943465041682103856265.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 38

Jollypop4321

Have you absolutely ruled out all fish disease? What you are describing can also be something like a fungal infection. Columnaris in advanced stages can kill a fish within a day or two.
and ripped and tattered fins are one of the signs
I have an all male tank and there is no issues with males attacking each other. That’s not to say you aren’t experiencing it in your tank, but if you cannot find the culprit and you are losing fish you might consider exploring this idea?

FishGirl115

Well Known
Have you absolutely ruled out all fish disease? What you are describing can also be something like a fungal infection. Columnaris in advanced stages can kill a fish within a day or two.
and ripped and tattered fins are one of the signs
I have an all male tank and there is no issues with males attacking each other. That’s not to say you aren’t experiencing it in your tank, but if you cannot find the culprit and you are losing fish you might consider exploring this idea?
Yes. Nothing is wrong with my water, and they were fine one hour and dead the next

Algonquin

Well Known
I have to agree with Jollypop - if you didn't see a 'deadly attack' (which isn't generally characteristic of guppies) then it may have been something else that killed these 2. I would bet that the bites out of the dead ones bodies were done AFTER they died.
Regarding keeping all males together, it's not usually a problem. I've only ever had males together, not wanting babies, and they chase and display to one another all the time. They do nip each others tails, so they're often looking a bit tattered, but they are not 'aggressive' fish in the sense that they would attack other guppies and kill them. I'm sure there are exceptions to this, but guppies are community fish, and not like Bettas who will defend their territory 'to the death'.
Can you give us a little timeline on when you got each guppy, and when they died etc? That might help clarify things a bit.

FishGirl115

Well Known
I will keep a closer eye on them.

Gone

Well Known
I disagree that you can't have all males. I selectively breed so most of my tanks hold all males or all females. I have several tanks with 5 or 10 males, and don't have any problems with aggression.

In my opinion the only thing you need to do numbers wise is make sure there are not more males than females if you put them together. A female will do fine one on one because she's bigger, but when they get outnumbered there can be a problem.

I have on occasion had guppies that were particularly aggressive. I removed them from the fish room.

I'd recommend double checking your test readings. Sometimes if water parameters are off it can cause aggression.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 36

Similar Aquarium Threads

• lemonfish
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
LilBlub
  • Jamieb284
  • Guppy