Help! I Dont Know Whats Wrong With My Fish!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Elia, Feb 28, 2019.

1. EliaNew MemberMember

Hello! I am so sorry I didn't use the outline I am supposed to use, but I am really worried about my male platy. He has stringy white things coming off of his tale, and It almost looks like it could even be his tale. Here is a picture... I hope this helps! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. JamieLuValued MemberMember

3. EliaNew MemberMember

I just got the fish yesterday and moved him into a ten-gallon tank... I cycled the tank for about three hours which may have not been long enough but I had an emergency and I had to get them into the tank as fast as possible. I use ph sticks and the ph is on point in the tank. I use water conditioner in the tank and I made sure that was in there. As for nitrite, nitrate, and ammonia, I am not sure what it is, but the tank I had before I had no problem with the water and I used the exact same thing for the other one. The fish could have possibly come from the pet shop like this. Also... Is this spreadable to my other fish?

4. JamieLuValued MemberMember

It's because ur tank isn't cycled. Read about the nitrogen cycle in the freshwater beginners forum. It takes around 1-2 months to cycle a fish tank. It's when ammonia produced by fish is converted into nitrite then into nitrate, but it takes the bacteria along time to establish, they are the ones who convert it. As for ur fish, ammo and nitrite are highly toxic so u need to start doing 25-50% water changes daily until ur tank cycles or the fish will die. How many do u have in the tank? U said u have another tank? How long have u had ur other one or do u still? Also, it's very very important u get an api master test kit to test ammo, nitrites and nitrates. Those are more important then PH and the dip sticks are inaccurate, I know from experience. They have the test kits on amazon for way cheaper then the stores but I need it asap! Until then u need to get a bottle of Prime water conditioner, it helps detox the ammonia and nitrites and also works as any other water conditioner. Not sure what else u know but make sure when changing the water it's the same temp and the tank, don't replace filter media unless it's ripped apart cuz thats where alot of bacteria will b growing. If it gets clogged at some point from gunk just swish it in tank water. Sorry I'm tryin to think of everythin to help u. These next few weeks/months are crucial tho, make sure u do water changes and let us know when u get the test kit so we can help further. Ur other fish can't catch fin rot but they can get it too just from water quality and also disease is easier to catch when toxins in water are too high