Help I Do Not Know What To Do And I Fear For My Betta's Life!

HyreFam5

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a Betta with an open sore: I tried to treat it and now he is acting worse.

This is my first time here, I wish I found the site several years ago. We have 3 Betta's and one developed a sore on his side. I increased frequency of water changes, and it was fairly stable. IT went thru one cycle of looking like a white bump, then it looked cottony and shed some, then looked bloody like an open sore. I thought at first it was a healing cycle for a fish... I've never seen anything like this before and thought it was going thru natural healing.

BUT the bump did not go away and so I started to monitor all the levels more closely,as well as the fish.

I did a water change Sunday or Monday and and on Wednesday PH levels were off slightly. I went to the pet store and got special water, some Aquarium Salt and Artemiss. I did a full water change Wednesday night. By Thursday evening Amonia levels were back up .25ppm. I was also looking for possible treatments and causes of his open sore, and found on line about doing a salt bath treatment and followed the 4 gallons to one tablespoon ratio with Aquarium Salt, for 15 minutes last night. I let him swim in the bath in a separate plastic container I prepared for him, maintaining temperature and of course treated water last night while I did a 50% water change again, and this morning he is acting horrible, staying on the bottom of his tank and not coming up. I was concerned after his bump had cycled thru becoming a shedding white bump to what looked like an open wound...but its not a WOUND per say... nothing sharp in tank after his tail was torn from plastic plant when we first got him, it has never grown back... he has one thing to hide behind and a fresh plant ... that it was getting infected with a fungal or bacterial infection... now I am afraid I have done something that is going to kill him and I am just so upset. He is staying on the bottom of the tank and appears to be having a hard time now, where as last night he was still acting fine. PLEASE HELP.... I am attaching pictures and a video (If i can get it to) of the bump last night looking like an open wound prior to his salt bath, and then a video (I can't get it to load right now)... the first photo and then the last 3 are from THURSDAY NIGHT prior to salt bath.... the 2nd photo is from this morning, where he is just hiding on the bottom and appears to be having a hard time swimming.
bump looks like bleeding thursday night IMG_7256.jpg
Fri am bump.IMG_7270.JPG
thur. bumpIMG_7258.jpg
thurs.pm.open sore.IMG_7257.jpg
Thursday night photo red bump IMG_7250.jpg
bump looks like bleeding thursday night IMG_7256.jpg
Fri am bump.IMG_7270.JPG
thur. bumpIMG_7258.jpg
thurs.pm.open sore.IMG_7257.jpg
Thursday night photo red bump IMG_7250.jpg
a photo from right now as well. His water also looks murky this morning, but I think that is from the Artemiss.... PLEASE HELP... I am so worried... and I do NOT know what to do!

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It looks like lymphocystis. This is a viral infection that is very contaigous. it isn't curable. As for salt baths, you doing your betta more harm with these. Make sure you know what your dosing for before you begin dosing, others wise your just doing more harm. bettas also don't have a high tolerbility to salt and therefore this really weakens the immune system. However, he does have a bad case of fin rot coming around. I would dose with an antifungal and add indian almond leaves to the aquarium. I would also add garlic to his food to help boost his immune system.

HyreFam5

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your quick response... a couple of questions: 1. How would he have a viral infection if he has not been with any other fish?? 2. Are you sure there is fin rot because his tail fins were shred by a plastic plant he used to have and a fish vet told me they would be ok but would most likely not grow back. ( he was our first Betta). 3. Should
I change his water again today and finally... how do I add garlic and Indian almond leaves and where do I get Indian almond leaves?

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
lymphocystist could of been on your betta for a while with out you knowing. Your not used to seeing these things, and therefore aren't going to notice it everytime you look at your betta. It might be growing also. One thing is for sure, it isn't an open sore. As for fin rot, I can tell he has it by looking at the thin spots on his fins. Especially on the analfin. I also recommend a new fish vet since if fins get torn on something they will always grow back. Only when a fish has fin rot might you see some minor stunting almost like a scar. I can also tell the fish has had fin rot in his past due to the ruffled appearance. This means he is more prone to getting it and it is extra important to keep his water clean. Indian Almond leaves can help keep away fin rot since it is an anti fungal. I get my leaves off aquabid.com which is a very good community. There are also specially formulated foods for fish with garlic in them. Their is also garlic juice you could add to his food. For fin rot this minor, i would just add in either API's or Tetras fin rot medication. Keep away from betta fix since this suffocates the betta due to their labryinth organ and suffocation. Also stay away from salt when treating fin rot.

HyreFam5

Reaction score
He has gotten worse... I have him in a “ Hospitial tank” as he was just lying, trying to get under things, in the bottom “ breathing “ with his gills rapidly. I can get my hands on any of the products you Reccomended quickly. The only thing I have been able to get is .... Artemis. I will change water daily but this is stressing him as well... any more advice? Thank you in advance for you time and help... the levels are all good... the ph does fall quickly . The fish vet told me they like a ph of 7.6

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom