Help! I Believe My Fish Have Ick.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by M4TTSA, Apr 21, 2018.

1. M4TTSANew MemberMember

Hey guys, my neon tetras have begun to show signs of ick and I want to know what is my best course of action. I've read up and seen that raising the temperature to 86 will help but I'm not sure if my bristlenose pleco can handle that. I've already done a 20% water change today. Can anybody help? Thank you! :)

2. Rachel3537Valued MemberMember

Aw, sorry to hear about that! I'm by no means a pleco expert, but I think that while 86 degrees is a bit high for plecos, it can probably handle the high temps for a short amount of time. In my experience, ick takes about two weeks to treat with heat, so the pleco probably be okay, if a bit lethargic. Make sure you do frequent water changes (one every two days is a good amount) and slowly adjust the temperature over the course of a day so you don't shock the fish.

I hope everything works out!

3. M4TTSANew MemberMember

Thank you!!

4. DarkOneFishlore VIPMember

If you're going to use heat, make sure it's actually over 86°F. Most thermometers will be off by 1-2°F. Going to 88°F is your best bet and will be safe for neons and BN plecos for 2 weeks (the duration of heat treatment). You can safely raise the temp 2°F per hour. You should have an air stone to increase aeration as warm water carries less oxygen. Ideally, you should gravel vac every day to pick up tomonts and theronts (the stages of ich that are in the water column).

5. chealy2001New MemberMember

Hi, just wondering if you would be able to tell me if this looks like ick it’s a bit difficult to get a clear picture. I’ve have 3 honey gouramis, and 6 neon tetras. I’ve had the gouramis for 2 weeks. My nitrates ph seems to be normal. I can’t test for ammonia as I my strips don’t test for that but the last time I was at the store 2 weeks ago, there was 0 ammonia

Attached Files:

6. Rachel3537Valued MemberMember

I'm not seeing any ick, but if you could get a clearer pic that might help. Do the white spots look like grains of salt on your fish?

7. chealy2001New MemberMember

Hi tha me for your response, it’s not quite a grain of salt a bit bigger. I have been trying to get a better picture. This is as good as I can get at the minute if I can get any better I will get back to you

Attached Files:

8. Rachel3537Valued MemberMember

I'm not sure if this is ick...to me it just looks like some sort of discoloration. I may be wrong though. I'd suggest that, since this thread is more or less already solved, you create a new one so we can focus solely on your fish. That way someone more knowledgeable of fish diseases can find your thread easier and help you

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice