help| I am thinking of upgrading my fish tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Itamarironi, Apr 8, 2010.

1. I

Itamarironi Valued Member Member

At the moment I have a 10 gallon fish tank but it is way to small. I am thinking of buying this new tank:   which is 75 gallons. I would like your help and advise about what filter should I get (I will go freshwater with plants) what heater, and if it will be good to add a power had. Another thing is that I read the article about the wired use of power filters, but couldn't understand what and how is it use and if I should have one in freshwater fish tank. (I already have a powerfilter)

thank you very much for reading and helping!

2. OP
    OP
    I

Also, is it a kind of live rock I can use in freshwater aquarium?
    And can I use sand instand of gravel?

3. t

timmygt33 Valued Member Member

Well, i had a look and just remember there is no cabinet with this tank. Maybe look around on craigs list and local classifieds and im sure you will be able to pick up a tank with cabinet and top for around if not cheaper than this.

A canister filter is necessary for a tank of this size, i use a Aquaone Cf 1205 for my 55 gal which works fine so any canister filter that is rated for 75 gals eg Ehiems and fluvals are the most expensive though maybe look at aquaones though not sure what else there are in USA than here in Australia.

There are other types of filters such af hang on back (HOB) or internal filters though for such a large tank a canister filter will be needed.

Heaters, a 300 watt or 2 will do depending on how cold your house gets in winter, not to sure as i dont have to deal with snow or extreme temps here.

Back to the first point, i suggest you look around at second hand tanks as they are so much cheaper and usually can score a filter and whole bunch f stuff cheap with them!

4. t

timmygt33 Valued Member Member

You can use sand though must check if sand is fine with the type of fish you are housing and also the type of filter

5. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I'm not familiar with any freshwater live rock, but that doesn't necessarily mean it does not exist.

You can use sand instead of gravel for a substrate. Many people choose to use pool filter sand.

6. OP
    OP
    I

I couldn't find any second hand tanks that were bigger than 20 gal. I am getting the aquarium as a gift. Is it a good value?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice