Help Help! Hundreds Of Detritus Worms In 5 Gallon.

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
A started this tank around 4-5 weeks ago and it’s a planted tank only with no fish in it neither a filter or heater. I dose it with fertilisers every week with 5ml. A week ago it wasn’t so bad. I’ve never fed the tank and now their could be thousands on all sides. They usually go under substrate after a few hours of the light turning on. Please help it’s my first planted tank. I have another tank 75 gallons but never had any of these problems. There are also snails (hitchers from plants). I also have no intention to put fishes in.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If the parameters are close enough just throw a hungry fish in it for a few days. Free food.

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If the parameters are close enough just throw a hungry fish in it for a few days. Free food.
It is quite cold and and recommendations on which fish? Need acclimation? Will some of the worms not transfer to my 75 gallons?

CindyVBPets

Valued Member
Reaction score
It's pretty common. Are you doing water changes and normal tank maintenance?

Or you're trying to do Walstad Method? That's a whole other deal. You may have used too rich a soil, all that feeding....etc.

Are you testing your water? Are the plants growing?.

It still has to cycle and I'm guessing it's your soil and decomposing matter . You want to test your water to see if you have an anaerobic condition driving a nitrite spike for example...

They say:

Too little flow,
too much organic matter,
deep substrate,
low PH,
high CO2
or Low Oxygen,
and nothing that would eat them....like ghost shrimp.

I would NOT put a fish in there from the other tank. I'd start testing the water and getting Walstad experts' advise on planted tank forums.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Im guessing with no filter you have no water circulation. And If you have thousands ill also guess your not doing water changes. Both could cause an detritus.

Detritus worms feed on organics in your substrate and plants need water circulation or you will get dead spots and as they die they provide organics for the worms to eat and before you know it you have a bloom you need to deal with.

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

Or you're trying to do Walstad Method? That's a whole other deal. You may have used too rich a soil, all that feeding....etc.

It still has to cycle and I'm guessing it's your soil and decomposing matter . You want to test your water to see if you have an anaerobic condition driving a nitrite spike for example...

They say:

Too little flow,
too much organic matter,
deep substrate,
low PH,
high CO2
or Low Oxygen,

I would NOT put a fish in there from the other tank. I'd start testing the water and getting Walstad experts' advise on planted tank forums.
I’m trying to do weekly water changes all though vacuuming the substrate is a challenge. My plants have grown a LOT, it exceeded my expectations. And I will test the water parameters and let you know. I have no idea what the Walstad method is but I’ll look into it. And I haven’t put any food or source of food, it might be the decomposing matter.

Im guessing with no filter you have no water circulation. And If you have thousands ill also guess your not doing water changes. Both could cause an detritus.

Detritus worms feed on organics in your substrate and plants need water circulation or you will get dead spots and as they die they provide organics for the worms to eat and before you know it you have a bloom you need to deal with.
Since I’ve an aqua soil substrate I can’t really dig into it otherwise it will cause the whole tank to go cloudy (not a bacterial bloom).

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Would ghost shrimp eat them?

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

They say:

Too little flow,
too much organic matter,
deep substrate,
low PH,
high CO2
or Low Oxygen,

Nitrate 25ppm
Nitrite 0.5 ppm
Gh 8 d
KH 15 d
Ph 6.10
Chlorine 0

My RO water has a ph of 7.04

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom