Help, huge ammonia spike!

Paigefav

Help!!! I have a one gallon tank with a Betta and a mystery snail and I found a snail dead in there today and I'm not sure how long he has been dea and one of my ghost shrimp was dead in there as well. He does overnight. My other ghost shrimp and mystery snail ate doing just fine. I tested the water and the ammonia was so high it was off the chart!! I got nervous and did a huge water change like 75 percent. I tested the water a few minutes later and it still is so high with fresh water! My problem is tomorrow I need to move my fry into this tank. I have a 16g and I was thinking I could dump everything out and clean the tank and then I could get some water from my big tank to fill the small tank so the water is okay for the fry tomorrow. Help please!!!

AP1

If the one gallon has been running for some time, do not dump everything out (by which I assume you mean decor, substrate, etc.) and clean the tank--you will be killing the beneficial bacteria if you dump everything out and clean it. Instead, and if ammonia is still very high, I would think that you would want to change out more water but keep the hardscape and substrate in place. I assume you have taken the dead snail out?...Also, what is in the 16 gallon?

Paigefav

If the one gallon has been running for some time, do not dump everything out (by which I assume you mean decor, substrate, etc.) and clean the tank--you will be killing the beneficial bacteria if you dump everything out and clean it. Instead, and if ammonia is still very high, I would think that you would want to change out more water but keep the hardscape and substrate in place. I assume you have taken the dead snail out?...Also, what is in the 16 gallon?
Yes I took them both out and did a big water change today but the ammonia is still high. I have glofish tetra and danio, bn pleco, mystery snails, neocardina shrimp.

If I take some gravel and water from my big tank will the bacteria carry over?

Azedenkae

Help!!! I have a one gallon tank with a Betta and a mystery snail and I found a snail dead in there today and I'm not sure how long he has been dea and one of my ghost shrimp was dead in there as well. He does overnight. My other ghost shrimp and mystery snail ate doing just fine. I tested the water and the ammonia was so high it was off the chart!! I got nervous and did a huge water change like 75 percent. I tested the water a few minutes later and it still is so high with fresh water! My problem is tomorrow I need to move my fry into this tank. I have a 16g and I was thinking I could dump everything out and clean the tank and then I could get some water from my big tank to fill the small tank so the water is okay for the fry tomorrow. Help please!!!
Don't thoroughly clean the tank. Just do massive 100% water changes until the water parameters are fine. Nitrifiers are minimal in the water, so you run no risk of losing them this way.

Paigefav

Don't thoroughly clean the tank. Just do massive 100% water changes until the water parameters are fine. Nitrifiers are minimal in the water, so you run no risk of losing them this way.
I just did a water change a few hours ago. When should I do another? And should I use anything from my other tank like the water or anything?

Dunk2

I just did a water change a few hours ago. When should I do another? And should I use anything from my other tank like the water or anything?
What exactly is the ammonia level now?

You may need to do another large water change, but I would’t recommend a 100% change with a fish in the tank.

Paigefav

What exactly is the ammonia level now?

You may need to do another large water change, but I would’t recommend a 100% change with a fish in the tank.
It was so high it wasn't even on the paper. It was very very dark green

Dunk2

It was so high it wasn't even on the paper. It was very very dark green
If it was very dark green after what you described as a large water change a couple hours ago, I’d do another 50% - 75% change.

Are you using Prime as your water conditioner?

Paigefav

If it was very dark green after what you described as a large water change a couple hours ago, I’d do another 50% - 75% change.

Are you using Prime as your water conditioner?
Okay I will have to do it first thing. And for my bug tank yes but not in the small one. Should I put some in now?

Paigefav

No!! These are in my 16 gallon tank, in my 1 gallon I have Betta, mystery snail and ghost shrimp. But I need that tank for my fry so I need the ammonia down before they can go in
We’re all of these in a 1 gallon tank?
No!! These are in my 16 gallon tank, in my 1 gallon I have Betta, mystery snail and ghost shrimp. But I need that tank for my fry so I need the ammonia down before they can go in

BradleyH2O

I see. Was just trying to understand why the ammonia was so high. Maybe one of the cycle gurus will have answers for you

Paigefav

I see. Was just trying to understand why the ammonia was so high. Maybe one of the cycle gurus will have answers for you
What is a cycle guru?

BradleyH2O

Members here that have a higher understanding of tank cycles

Paigefav

Members here that have a higher understanding of tank cycles
Oh okay thanks!

StarGirl

How often have you been changing water in this tank? The ammonia should have went down drastically with one water change in a 1g. Have you checked your tap water recently?

Paigefav

How often have you been changing water in this tank? The ammonia should have went down drastically with one water change in a 1g. Have you checked your tap water recently?
Like once a week or once every 2 weeks. No I haven't I should do that!

StarGirl

Like once a week or once every 2 weeks. No I haven't I should do that!
In a tank that small water should be changed at least 3 times a week, or even every other day.

Also one of those fish really shouldn't be in a tank that small. Let alone 3. That's why your water is so high.

Paigefav

In a tank that small water should be changed at least 3 times a week, or even every other day.

Also one of those fish really shouldn't be in a tank that small. Let alone 3. That's why your water is so high.
Which fish shouldn't be in the tank? And okay I will increase the changes for sure!

StarGirl

Which fish shouldn't be in the tank? And okay I will increase the changes for sure!
I personally would not put any fish in a 1g tank. Thats up to you though. The water is too unstable to try to keep it good for the fish, plus its like swimming in a closet. ;)

Paigefav

I personally would not put any fish in a 1g tank. Thats up to you though. The water is too unstable to try to keep it good for the fish, plus its like swimming in a closet. ;)
I was going to rehome my Betta and put some of my bigger fry in there. Is that okay?

StarGirl

It would be ok for fry when they are really small. Fry give off hormones when they are growing so you may want to do water changes every day for the fries. They need fed more too.

Paigefav

It would be ok for fry when they are really small. Fry give off hormones when they are growing so you may want to do water changes every day for the fries. They need fed more too.
Okay thanks!

StarGirl

Okay thanks!
They fry may only be able to be in there a few weeks tops. How big are they now?

Paigefav

They fry may only be able to be in there a few weeks tops. How big are they now?
They are about half on an inch

StarGirl

They are about half on an inch
Do you have another tank they could go in? Thats getting on the big side. Like I said 1g is just not enough space.

Paigefav

Do you have another tank they could go in? Thats getting on the big side. Like I said 1g is just not enough space.
No I don't have anything else :(
No I don't have anything else :(
They are in a breeding net right now so I thought it would be an upgrade for them

StarGirl

Ok do you have a pic of the tank? Does it have a heater and filter?

Paigefav

Ok do you have a pic of the tank? Does it have a heater and filter?
Yes it has both!

StarGirl

Although its not ideal you may be able to keep them in there providing you change water every day. I would take some of that gravel out too. Its Thicker than it needs to be. More swimming space. ;) Send another picture when they are in there to see how they are. :)

Paigefav

Although its not ideal you may be able to keep them in there providing you change water every day. I would take some of that gravel out too. Its Thicker than it needs to be. More swimming space. ;) Send another picture when they are in there to see how they are. :)
Okay I will! I just have to get the ammonia levels down before I can put them in there

StarGirl

Okay I will! I just have to get the ammonia levels down before I can put them in there
I bet a lot of it is coming from the deep gravel. You should be able to do 1 water change and get rid of the ammonia otherwise. Do you have a gravel vacuum?

Paigefav

I bet a lot of it is coming from the deep gravel. You should be able to do 1 water change and get rid of the ammonia otherwise. Do you have a gravel vacuum?
Yes I do I have a siphon is it the same thing?

StarGirl

Yes I do I have a siphon is it the same thing?
Yes. Does it have a hard plastic tube hooked on it? Before you change more water take some of the gravel out. leave about 1 inch in there. Then do the water change so you can get the gunk that comes out. Next water change suck deeper into the gravel to see if a bunch of gunk comes out. That may be where your ammonia is coming from.

Paigefav

Yes. Does it have a hard plastic tube hooked on it? Before you change more water take some of the gravel out. leave about 1 inch in there. Then do the water change so you can get the gunk that comes out. Next water change suck deeper into the gravel to see if a bunch of gunk comes out. That may be where your ammonia is coming from.
Okay thankyou! I will do that!

StarGirl

Okay thankyou! I will do that!
I just have one more question. Do you change the filter cartridge in the filter?

Paigefav

This is what it looks like! Is there a gravel vaccim that sucks the gunk out without taking water out? I hope so lol
I just have one more question. Do you change the filter cartridge in the filter?
Yes! I change it once a month and if it is really nasty I rinse it off in old tank water when I do a water change

StarGirl

This is what it looks like! Is there a gravel vaccim that sucks the gunk out without taking water out? I hope so lol

Yes! I change it once a month and if it is really nasty I rinse it off in old tank water when I do a water change
Yeah thats going to suck a lot of water out fast I would assume. No I dont think there is such a thing...lol

Just keep rinsing it out. You are starting your cycle all over when you toss that out. You can make a slit to get the carbon out, that will help it flow better. You dont need it anyhow right now.

Paigefav

Yeah thats going to suck a lot of water out fast I would assume. No I dont think there is such a thing...lol

Just keep rinsing it out. You are starting your cycle all over when you toss that out. You can make a slit to get the carbon out, that will help it flow better. You dont need it anyhow right now.
Okay! I don't need the carbon in the filter at all?

StarGirl

Okay! I don't need the carbon in the filter at all?
In a filter cartridge that small there is barely any in there anyway. It gets used up fairly fast and then just slows the filter flow down. No it isnt really needed unless you are pulling out meds. You are going to be changing water a lot so it will be fine without it.

Paigefav

In a filter cartridge that small there is barely any in there anyway. It gets used up fairly fast and then just slows the filter flow down. No it isnt really needed unless you are pulling out meds. You are going to be changing water a lot so it will be fine without it.
Okay thanks!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jbw
Replies
Views
BaseballMom
Replies
Views
LadySamsara
Replies