Help! How Should I Stock My Aquarium!? 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by nbolte, Jul 14, 2018.

1. nbolte

nbolte New Member Member

Hello everybody! I have an aquarium that needs re-stocking. All but one of my fish have died, a sunrise guppy that was hatched in my tank and is still small. He's probably barely an inch long, maybe not even that.

But, I'm actually a novice when it comes to fish knowledge. I don't know what fish work well together and which ones don't. I also don't know the type of environment and size of tank is appropriate for different fish. I just really need help because I love having my aquarium, I'm just not knowledgeable on the subject.
    I don't have access to any stores that specialize in only fish and aquariums, there are just none in my area.
    What I'm asking really is what type of fish would work best in my tank and how many of each.

As far as tank details go I have a 10 gallon tank that has a fair amount of foliage and to larger ornaments. I have an airator as well, I'm not sure if that matters. Naturally I have a heater (100 watt) and filter (Tetra Whisper 2-10i) I'll post a picture as well just so there is a visual. You can even see my little lonely guppy in front of the rock structure in the middle of all the foliage. IMG_20180714_023235462_HDR.jpg

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Why don't you take a look at this list of fish that do well in a 10 gallon? See which fish you are interested in and which fish are available to you and tell us. Then we can try to come up with some stocking options for you :)

Stocking options for 10 gallons

3. OP
    OP
    nbolte

nbolte New Member Member

Thanks! I'll give this a look and come back with more information!

4. OP
    OP
    nbolte

nbolte New Member Member

I thought this posted hours who but apparently it didn't. So! After look at the list, and there are a TON of fish on there. I've basically narrowed it down to the basics. Various Tetra's, Guppies, and Barb's. I couldn't tell you exactly which species of these fish I have available because I haven't been to the store to check their stock.

5. BottomDweller

You could have around 8 ember tetras with your current guppy.
    Are you interested in invertebrates?

6. OP
    OP
    nbolte

nbolte New Member Member

I ended up going with some male guppies. 3 yellows and a one that I can't remember the name of, but it is white and pink/light red in color.

And I did some reading, and apparently Molly's and guppies can cross breed. I'm thinking that is what my one is because the Molly's I had we're white and my guppies were orange and black. This fish shares all those colors as well as a Molly body shape. But I'm not sure, I'm just guessing.

7. BottomDweller

A molly would need a 29 gallon tank so keep an eye on it as it grows

8. OP
    OP
    nbolte

nbolte New Member Member

Yeah, I know that now . That's why I had so many issues with this last bit of fish I had. Like I said, I'm still not very knowledgeable and I'm still learning new things and different needs for different fish. I really appreciate all of the help though. It means a lot, really.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice