Help how do I change filters?

MilaM

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi,
Attached are images from my filter. As you will note, they look bad. No foul smell though. Filter has been running for a month now, first two weeks had one baby pleco . Now it has 4 platies (2 adults two babies) one guppy and a pleco.
Do I just rinse both in the aquarium water when I change water? Please help! It is Maryland Penguin 150 filter.

My amonnia jumped to .5 today, nitrite are zero and nitrates around 10-30. 50% water change was done yesterday. I also did a water change today of 50%.

Attachments

kattiq

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would rotate and do one piece of media at a time so you aren't killing off a ton of bacteria all at once- even if you are using tank water to clean it.

OP
M

MilaM

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok, so I will rinse first one of them and then in a couple of weeks the other.
Thanks!

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You should never replace your filter media unless its physically falling apart. The media holds the majority of your beneficial bacteria you need. If you replace the media, you throw away all your BB causing your cycle to crash and cause ammonia/nitrite levels to rise because you got rid of all the BB that eats away the toxic waste your fish produce. Just swish the media around in old tank water during water changes. Never rinse it it tap water as the chlorine/chloramines will kill your BB as it would fish.

OP
M

MilaM

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wrench said:
You dont.
Change the water, unless the filter clogs up or the filter media is falling apart you do not change the filter....you are removing most of the beneficial bacteria if you replace it.
Ok, got it! Just rinsing it.

OP
M

MilaM

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Blueberrybetta said:
You should never replace your filter media unless its physically falling apart. The media holds the majority of your beneficial bacteria you need. If you replace the media, you throw away all your BB causing your cycle to crash and cause ammonia/nitrite levels to rise because you got rid of all the BB that eats away the toxic waste your fish produce. Just swish the media around in old tank water during water changes. Never rinse it it tap water as the chlorine/chloramines will kill your BB as it would fish.
Got it! Thanks!

New Threads