HELP! High temperatures in the tank - Hot weather

Gwenz

Well Known
Reaction score
My 15 gallon tank is getting really hot. At the mopment we have got really hot weather here in Wales. The heater doesn't switch on unless the tank water is under the temerature it is set at. It is set at 25 degrees C (77 degrees F), so it is off at the moment because the weather is so hot the temperature of the tank just keeps rising, and now it is up at around 28 degrees C (82 degrees F) and I don't think the fish are used to it. The weather is said to be hotter than it has been in years. 8) ;D
My Danios are swimming around more at the surface and the Neons don't seem to be doing much and are hiding in the plants. The don't seem to be eating as much as usual either. :-\

What should I do to help cool it down?
Should I do a water change to help mabe put some cooler water in? ???

Thanks in advance

Gwenz

Kelley

Reaction score
you can do what I'm doing. open the front cover of the tank and run a small fan next to the tank pointed at the water. This seems to keep the tank under 80 degs. With the water getting that hot you might want to run an air stone in the tank to help with oxygen. I'm not sure about adding ice cubes into the water. I not sure, but I would think that the sudden change in temperature might stress the fish out. If I where to add ice cubes I would but them in my HOB filter. To keep the away from the fish.

mistycheri

Reaction score
What I did when the weather starting warming up and effecting the tank temp. was put ice in a zip-lock bag and float it at the top of the tank. Sometimes I would have to do this several times to cool the water down. It doesn't drastically change the temp. but works gradually. This fish loved this because I would see em swimming close to the bag to stay cool. When the tank temp. got down to 78 - 80 degree's I would take the bag of ice out. Once the temp. outside got too hot for open windows, I had to turn the air conditioning unit on in the house so they stay cool now.

OP
Gwenz

Gwenz

Well Known
Reaction score
I tried the Ice thing that you suggested CherI Ann. It works at the time but I have to continualy change the Ice or it just warms up again. Otherwise it seems to be working and I'm sure it will be worth it in the end. The fish are a little more active again now.

gwenz

shmee

Reaction score
I have added 1 ice cube at a time to my tank to lower the temp. it doesn't seem to stress out the fish and its worked very well. just watch them when you do it. they should stay away from the cube on there own, but if they don't take it out. you can also just take some of the water out, like a few cups depending on the size of your tank and add some new cooler water back in

OP
Gwenz

Gwenz

Well Known
Reaction score
shmee said:
you can also just take some of the water out, like a few cups depending on the size of your tank and add some new cooler water back in
My mum suggested that but I wasn't sure if it would work. I'll try it.

Thanks

Gwenz

OP
Gwenz

Gwenz

Well Known
Reaction score
Well, the weathers cooled down a bit now. We had our first rain in about 2 and a half weeks today. Must be a rekord!! (It always rains here!!) Any way the tanks gone back down to it's usual temperature and the fish are acting normally again.

Gwenz

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you are dropping ice cubes directly into the tank be sure they are made of conditioned water. Otherwise they will introduce chlorine.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How did it work? (just in case my tanks ever get too hot...)

OP
Gwenz

Gwenz

Well Known
Reaction score
It worked OK. I thought it wouldn't work at first, because nothing changed, but after replaceing them a few times after they had melted the water temperature gradualy started to drop. I carried it on until it got back to the normal temerature and then just put in one in the morning and one at night to keep the temerature steady. It's quite a good Idea really and it works after a while.

Gwenz

P.S. - You need a lot of Ice cubes!!

New Threads