HELP! High Nitrites in Goldie Tank

1. Graveyardsally Initiate Member

Hello!

First off, I am still fairly new to fish keeping. I have only been doing it for a few months now.

About a month ago I moved my Goldie's to a 40g. I cycled and everything was going well. I added them in; everything thing still going well. This last week I have noticed the water seemed very cloudy. I tested this morning and my Nitite level is WAY out of control. Everything else seems to be in balance. What can I do to get these levels down and under control?
    I truly appreciate any and all advice :)

Thanks in advance!
    Steph

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

How high are the nitrites & what are your other water stats? it sounds like the filter wasn't fully cycled or adding the goldies caused a spike, how many goldies do you have in the tank?
    For now I suggest you do some large water changes to get the nitrites down

3. Graveyardsally Initiate Member

For testing I'm using Tetra Easy Strips...
    Nitrates: 10
    Nitrites: 10+
    Hardness: 75
    Chlorine: 0
    Alkalinity: 40 (think this might be low too?)
    pH: 7

I have 4 fish (1 Ryukin, 2 Calico Fantails, 1 Black Moor)

I'm using a Topfin 40 filter

Like I said, still VERY new to this

Thank you!

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Wow those nitrites are high, have you also tested for ammonia?
    Strips can be inaccurate, a liquid test such as the Api one is better, you can get it from your Lfs or amazon.
    I'd definitely do a large water change, as large as you can don't forget to dechlorinate, then test again & if the reading is still high do another change.

5. Graveyardsally Initiate Member

I have not done an ammonia test yet. I'll do a change and go pick up the API test kit. Thank you so much for your help!

I'll report back and let you knew how it goes!

6. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Hi there. And welcome :)

I wanted to agree with the above and maybe also offer some insight that may be why your cycle is struggling.

For a 40g tank with 4 goldfish, a TopFin 40 is insufficient filtration, in my opinion. I believe the TopFin 40 turns over about 200 gallons per hour. In a goldfish tank, you really cannot have too much filtration.

The bacteria that cycles your tank lives on your filter media. Goldies are messy and therefore need A LOT of bacteria to process their waste. It may be there is just not enough water turn over or surface area for bacteria to grow on to adequately process their waste.

I would suggest adding at least another filter to bring your gph to at least 400 and maybe also stuff some extra biomedia in the filter boxes.

7. Graveyardsally Initiate Member

Thank you poeticinjustices! I rinsed off my filter today when doing my big water change and it looked pretty dirty. I will be making another trip to the LFS tomorrow to get an additional filter.
    I did about a 50% water change.
    Ammonia level is about .25
    Nitrites levels are down to about 7
    I did find and buy the API test kit. I will test with it tomorrow morning and see if things are looking any better.

8. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Graveyardsally, when rinsing your media, please do so in old tank or de chlorinated water. Rinsing your media in tap water will kill the majority of your beneficial bacteria, resetting your cycle. It sounds like you will need to re cycle your tank to establish your bacteria. Colonies again. Best of luck.

9. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Star.gif Since you now have more than 3 posts to the open forum, please complete your Aquarium Profile Information. This Information will aid others with their responses.

To access the Profile, click on Forum Actions in the bar close to the top of the screen. In the drop down box, click on Edit Profile. Be sure to hit SAVE when you are done.

Thanks!

Ken