Help Help! High Nitrate Levels In Guppy Tank

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes a water change will get rid of some nitrates. 25% and you'll be left with 30ppm. 50% and you'll be left with 20ppm. 40 isn't very bad but I like it lower. I do at least 50% personally.

Heron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The only easy way to lower nitrates is water changes. I would change 20 percent each day to get them down then 25 percent a week to keep them down. The fact you have ammonia readings suggest the tank is not properly cycled. If you need help on how to cycle the tank just ask. Your tank is not overstocked so It should cycle easily.

Roger121

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
nitrates are the product of the nitrogen from the organic stuff on decomposition, may vacuum the substrate and reducing the food can be beneficial too.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
50% weekly water changes. When was your last water change? 40ppm just means it’s time for a water change. How old is the tank?

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Okay thanks I'll do that today , will aquarium salt or epsom salt do anything ? I have to buy some for my betta
If the fish are fine they won't need any treatment. I never use salt.
The only easy way to lower nitrates is water changes. I would change 20 percent each day to get them down then 25 percent a week to keep them down. The fact you have ammonia readings suggest the tank is not properly cycled. If you need help on how to cycle the tank just ask. Your tank is not overstocked so It should cycle easily.
The API tests can show a reading of 0.25 ammonia in cycled tanks. OP if ammonia rises over a few days I'd be concerned, if not I'd say it's fine. If it's been up for a year I'd assume it's cycled.

I'd be more concerned with the stocking. Barbs like schools.

Blueberrybetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've been so confused on how to cycle a tank. I know you have to let it sit for about 2 weeks and I know its cycled when theres no ammonia and nitrites but I just get confused on how to cycle it. Any help ? I already read the fourm on here but I'm such a beginner I dont really understand it

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've been so confused on how to cycle a tank. I know you have to let it sit for about 2 weeks and I know its cycled when theres no ammonia and nitrites but I just get confused on how to cycle it. Any help ? I already read the fourm on here but I'm such a beginner I dont really understand it
To cycle a tank there has to be an ammonia source. Either fish, fish food or ammonia. And it has to sit until there's bacteria to convert ammonia to nitrites to nitrates. Not just 2 weeks but as long as it takes. The tank has been set up for a year so it's probably cycled. Especially as there's nitrates. There's a filter yes?

Blueberrybetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
50% weekly water changes. When was your last water change? 40ppm just means it’s time for a water change. How old is the tank?
Around last week and some water has evaporated. I have to take care of 3 tanks so its get challenging sometimes. I'll do a water change today then test later . Will that help ? And will any salts help , do you know . Thanks so much

Blueberrybetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
To cycle a tank there has to be an ammonia source. Either fish, fish food or ammonia. And it has to sit until there's bacteria to convert ammonia to nitrites to nitrates. Not just 2 weeks but as long as it takes. The tank has been set up for a year so it's probably cycled. Especially as there's nitrates. There's a filter yes?
Okay so new tank , gravel /substrate , add water then fish food. Wait for ammonia to develop then into nitrites then nitrates . Ammonia at 0ppm , nitrites at 0ppm, nitrates around 5ppm? And pH just around 7.5 I assume . Is that right ? Setting a new tank up soon

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You may want to read THIS. It is how to cycle a tank with fish in it explained as simple as I can explain it. If after you read and understand it just ask if there is still something you don't understand.

Cycling a tank really is a simple process but there are certain steps that need to be taken. In my humble opinion water changes and lots of them are the main step if doing a fish in cycle.

Blueberrybetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Should I do a full %50 change or small %20 changes a day like you said . Someone else said %50

Blueberrybetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You may want to read THIS. It is how to cycle a tank with fish in it explained as simple as I can explain it. If after you read and understand it just ask if there is still something you don't understand.

Cycling a tank really is a simple process but there are certain steps that need to be taken. In my humble opinion water changes and lots of them are the main step if doing a fish in cycle.
Thank you! I'll go read that

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom