Help! Help! Help! 75 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by KewAquarist, Mar 19, 2010.

1. K

KewAquarist New Member Member

Please, I need someone to help me fast...I'm having problems with my ammonia level (4.0). I've now had 1 fish and 3 alge eaters to die. I have a total of 17 fish and 2 bottom feeders in my 75 gal. tank - 5 Silvers Dollars left (1 just died), 2 Bala Sharks, 4 Garaumis, 6 Tiger Barbs (2 looks very reddish around the fins and stomach), and 2 bottom feeders. I thought it was the bloodworms I fed them, but now I'm not sure. I believe that the ammonia is beginning to take it toll. I have done everything to remove this ammonia. I do water changes weekly (10 to 20 percent). I'm afraid that if I don't do something, all of my fish will soon die. can someone please help?????

2. HOWsMom

HOWsMom Well Known Member Member

The red around the fins is likely ammonia poisoning.

Are you treating your water with anything when you do your water changes ?

I would do a larger water change, and more frequently. Actually, until it was under control, I'd be doing daily water changes (have been doing that personally, on a tank that wasn't cycled but had fish in it) with Prime.

What are your Nitrite and Nitrate levels ?

3. OP
    OP
    K

I treat my water with Prime everytime I do a water change. I had been doing a water change of about 33% water change until I told to cut it down to 10-20%. My nitrite and nitrate levels are great.

4. b

bubblefish Valued Member Member

I would suggest 30 to 40% water changes daily with Prime until the ammonia is down to 0.

5. Prince Powder

Prince Powder Well Known Member Member

If I haven't said so already Welcome to Fishlore!

I'm sorry you are losing fish. It looks like your tank is not properly cycled. Since you have such high ammonia in your tank you will need to be doing daily water changes with your Prime to keep your fish safe until the tank cycles. I would recommend doing a 50% water change now and start doing 50% water changes daily until you can get that ammonia level below 1ppm then you can either continue with 50% changes or scale it back a bit, just so long as your levels don't rise to above 1ppm. (keeping it at .25 until it's done cycling would be better).

Also keep in mind that if all of your gouramis are kissing gouramis they get to be about 12 inches. Your two bala sharks will get to be 13 inches or so. If your bottom feeders are some kind of Pleco they produce alot of waste and some species will get extremely large. With so many larger fish your tank would be overstocked and you will have a tough time keeping the ammonia in check, particularly once they are full grown.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  6. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Hang in there, we'll help you through this:;hug2

Excellent advice from all above, but if I were dealing with the exact same situation, I'd utilize Prince Powder's strategy of daily 50% water changes until your ammonia is at 0, your nitrites are at 0, and you're showing nitrates.

7. OP
    OP
    K

Thanks you all for your help. I will start the 50% water changes today...hopefully this will work.

8. OP
    OP
    K

Man!!! I had 3 Tiger Barbs to die today...ALL IN ONE DAY!!!! I'm scared that this will keep happening. I've done a 50% water change on Friday and another one on Saturday, and was on my way to do another 50% change today when I notice that I didn't see but 3 of my tiger barbs. Then that's when I saw it, three of my barbs floating. This just make me want to stop doing the fish aquarium thing. Floating dead fish seem to take something out of me...I never want to see anyone or anything die...and I definately don't want to see something that I'm responsible for die...It kind of hurts. I know, I'm a wimp...go ahead and say it.

9. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_Don Well Known Member Member

Get Some TSS and add it to the tank it should get you over the top on the cycle.after you put it in dont test the water or do water changes for 7 - 10 days

10. bubblynutter

bubblynutter Well Known Member Member

I respectfully disagree with the post above.
    The TSS will more than likely fail as the ammonia levels are above 1.0ppm. The current ammonia levels will kill the BB in the TSS.

I have been going through the exact same problem, and have been doing 40-50% water changes for just over a week. My ammonia is now down to 0.75ppm.

Keep up the water changes, and use the Prime. I would also add a dose of Stress Coat with each pwc. Good luck, you will get through this!

Also, you may still lose fish. This is unfortunate, but they are currently very stressed. The weaker fish will not be able to sustain themselves in such a stressful environment. Dosing with Prime & Stress Coat will be your safest options to make it through this with minimum losses.

HTH

11. allibobs

allibobs Well Known Member Member

I have just had the exact same problem in 2 of my tanks and it turned out the problem was moss balls! I have managed to get my ammonia level back to normal but the real help was a bag of Zeolite ( rinse the zeolite really well first)dropped into the tank near my air line outlet and leave in in for a max of 5 days. Use this along with the Prime and stress coat with water changes.

Hope your ammonia levels out soon

12. A

AspiringAquarist Valued Member Member

Keep doing 50% water changes daily. I had the same problem for about a week now but I got the ammonia levels under control with 50% water changes and Prime. When you use Prime you should put up to 5x the recommended dosage because your case is considered an "emergency".
    If you can, try to get some TSS, but make sure that your levels don't exceed 1.0 ppm, or else the nitrifying bacteria in TSS will be overwhelmed.

If you can't get the ammonia levels under 1.0 with the water changes you can try putting some zeolite in your filters. Zeolite absorbs ammonia, but eventually you will have to cycle your tank.

You can also go to your LFS and ask them for some filter media, gravel, or a sponge filter from one of their established tanks. However this is controversial because of the fact that the tanks in your LFS might be carrying disease.

13. TedsTank

TedsTank Well Known Member Member

You may to "up" your filtration. The canisters are great no problem there but what you are using may not be quite enough. You can hardly over filter a tank but if you are having trouble stabilizing the tank, a bit more filtration may do the job.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice