Help Help Help; I don't know what to do!

missjerm

I need some real help here people. I have got a silver molly who I am currently treating for PopEye with myacin 2 powder. I have two more doses before I do a partial water change, and perhaps start over as this same molly has had popeye before. However, after one day of treatment, I noticed my orange molly with some white spots. She too has had this same "sickness" before. I didn't think it was ick, just some fungus. Anyway, I treated with some QuIck Cure, recommended to me by my local fish man, who I have gotten advice from before.

Ok, so this quick cure cured my orange molly of the white spots so I'm thinking I need to go ahead and treat the tank for that, however I'm still treating for popeye with the myacin 2 and didn't think I could use both medicines in the tank.

Now, today I just noticed that my silver molly, the one with popeye is covered with white spots that I can only assume is Ick.....and she's really swimming funny too!!

Now, I really don't know what to do. I obviously need to do something fast as both fish are sick but I'm just not sure if I can use both medicines or if I should stop treating for the popeye and starting treating the Ick????

Anyway, your help is greatly appreciated as I'm at my wits end...

I'm so worried too that I'm gonna lose my power as I'm in Houston and will be on the receiving end of Ike. I've got a generator that I plan to plug my tank into but I am just so stressed right now worrying about these fish!!!

Please help, thank you.!!!

pinkfloydpuffer

Do you have another tank where you can separate them?

Alessa

Omg, I'm really sorry all this is going on. If it is ick, what you can do to help and not have to medicate for ich, is raise the water temperature to 82 and vacumm the gravel thoroughly every time you can do a water change. The high temps will get rid of the ich.

to compensate for the lack of oxygen caused by the high temps, add an airstone.

pinkfloydpuffer

Also, which tank is it? The 2 gal or the other one? Did you take the carbon out of the filter? Is it cycled?

Richard

It's vital to have an extra tank, nothing too big ( a 5 gal. would work, with air running into it), to use as a quarantine/hospital tank. It comes in handy when you buy new fish, for the 1-2 week quarantine period before you add them to your main tank.. and in the case of a sick fish, sometimes a single fish will come down with something in your community tank, and depending on what it is, should be isolated from the others for treatment.. some of the ailments that come to mind are the two types of fungus ( mouth and body.. the treatment for one doesn't always work for the other), dropsy, and pop-eye.

Bear in mind, most of the medications to treat these diseases, require you to leave the water as is, without changing it, for several days while you keep adding more and more meds.. the water quality is seriously compromised during all that, and otherwise healthy fish could get sick during that period.

It's so much easier to remove the sick fish to a quarantine tank and treat him/her.. and besides, having that extra tank puts you right in the ranks of those of us with MTS, which ain't such a bad thing!..lol.

missjerm

Well, everyone right now is in my 10gal tank. I do have the 2gal but I think it's time for a water change in that one. I have a small filter on that one.

I have not had a carbon filter in my 10gal for some time now because I had previously been treating my orange molly for those white spots and I guess it had been a little longer than I realized that I needed to do a partial water change in the 10gal. I'd like to do one now if it will help but I was afraid to because I thought I needed to wait until I was done treating for the silver molly's popeye.

I could possibly move her, silver molly to the 2gal tank and start treating her with the QuIck Cure but I will probably have to treat her again for the popeye as that is not completely gone...

I swear, I am so distressed. I feel like I get one well and then one gets sick again and I don't know why they're getting sick in the first place.

I'm really worried about the silver molly; she's doing this weird swimming thing, like she's shaking from side to side as she's swimming....anybody know if that's a really bad sign???

clinton1621

Pop eye is actually caused by a fungal infection... Maracyn two does not work all that well for this, because its an antibiotic and not an antifungal. The white spots on your fish are most likely fungal infections as well, they are just external where as pop eye is internal. You need to be treating with an antifungal med to treat the fungus... the antibacterial med is still helping though as fungal are usually the result of bacterial infections or injury.

pinkfloydpuffer

It's good that you don't have carbon in there, as it removed medication.
Maracyn-2 got rid of the pop eye in my betta very well. But I suppose there are probably different causes of popeye.

clinton1621

It's good that you don't have carbon in there, as it removed medication.
Maracyn-2 got rid of the pop eye in my betta very well. But I suppose there are probably different causes of popeye.

No, its the same general cause... its a secondary fungal infection, which usually results from bacterial infections. That's why Maracyn 2 can work (but not always) it gets rid of the bacterial infection and then the fungus has no dead tissue to eat. If the fungal infection is bad enough though, then the antibacterial alone will not clear it up.

pinkfloydpuffer

Oh ok. Makes sense. Thanks.

missjerm

Thanks for all the advice so far. I appreciate it. What I did was I went ahead and started treating the tank with the QuIck Cure solution that I have. It's a 3 day treatment. I just felt like I needed to do something for these fish. I'm so worried about the way the silver one is swimming. Some of this medicine has been in for about an hour and a half and she seems to be swimming a bit better but is still wading around at the top like there's not much oxygen but the others seem ok. I'm gonna change out my sponge filter and see if that will help. I also added some water back to my tank that has evaporated. Hopefully these things will help.

Fishies-for-me

I don't think changing the sponge will help...as a matter of fact it may very well hurt I hope you havn't done it yet. It may put you into a minI cycle that will make the fish even worse...the weird side to side swimming in place is called shimmying. When a fish shimmys it is cuz they are uncomfortable and the ick can / will cause it. Good luck with your fish and Ike.

COBettaCouple

You can treat for popeye and still treat the ich with water at 82F for 2 weeks and daily 25% water changes with weekly (at least) substrate cleaning.. as much as you're able to.

clinton1621

Heres a question, are the spots on the fish small like salt or sugar... or are they larger flat spots?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Whitelightning
Replies
Views
Plecolover4477
Replies
Views
C1984
Replies
Views